Author Topic: Odyssey Stock Fuel Tank  (Read 1578 times)

Doobby

• View Profile
Odyssey Stock Fuel Tank
« on: November 04, 2010, 03:30:16 PM »
I just bought a 350FL that my son and I are trying to get running. The Odyssey is in pretty good shape, but the seller was up front with me and told me that it didn't run. The Ody ran fine (according to him) and it was parked for about a year. He then tried to fire it up again but couldn't get it running, so he left it sitting. It sat for another three years before I bought it.

Thinking logically, I thought that I would start with the fuel system. I removed the tank and carb. I dumped out the old gas and started cleaning it in the parts washer. Some gunk and what looks like some lining came out. The tank is pretty clean now, but my concern is the fuel pickup lines inside the tank. Two lines feed the petcock from inside the tank - I assume one regular and one reserve line. With a flashlight you can see the lines. one goes clear to the bottom of the tank and turns upward a little. I assume that this is the reserve pickup. The other tube is where I think there is a problem. the tube comes from the petcock and makes a turn down and then.....there's nothing. It really looks like about 6 inches of the tube is missing. If it is missing/rotted away it may explain why he couldn't get it running- it wouldn't pick up any fuel.

Can anyone tell me what it is supposed to be like? I've read a few of the "cons" about running a aluminum fuel tank and would like to avoid it.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Odyssey Stock Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
You could just run on reserve.

I would check for air leaks. It is very likely the crank seals will need replacing.

Doobby

• View Profile
Re: Odyssey Stock Fuel Tank
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:31 AM »
Thank you, Live Wire. That was my thought. Just wanted to see if my thinking was right.