Author Topic: Died at high speed and wont start.  (Read 2485 times)

biospheare

• View Profile
Died at high speed and wont start.
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
I went out riding today and about ten minutes in I wide open it and about 15sec later I notice I have less power and 5 seconds after that it makes some popping noises and dies. I try to fire it up and the the clutch does not spin in forward gear like it previously did. When trying to start the engine it sounds like there is no compression. The clutch only spins in neutral gear. I drained some of the gearbox oil down and found some small metal shavings in them. I'm going to try and do a compression check on it a little later. What do you guys think the problem can be? Unfortunately, I am not very knowledgeable on this stuff so any possible remedy would be appreciated? Thanks.

BTW: I used cheaper 2stroke oil than I normally do. I do not know how much of a role the quality of 2stroke oil plays.

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 11:07:54 AM »
With out a tare down cant be sure but I would bet it's toast. The loss of power is a sizure accuring form the piston getting to big in the cylinder may or may not have hole in the piston.  Many thing lead up to this. Cheap oil is never a good idea and one of them. At least you know what a siezure fells like now. Take out the plug and see if therre metal all over it. Then you can take the end of a penclie and by hand rotate the cylinder to TDC (Up to the top) and then use the pencil to see if you can find a hole. Its real easy just to unbolt the head and take a look. It most likly will need to come off any way. Be sure to post up pics We all like pics.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:05:48 PM »
It sounds like the classic "stuck ring in the piston", whether from an air link or lean jetting remains to be seen. If it was 20 or more degrees cooler than the temperature you normally run in, and you didn't rejet, that would lead me to the lean jetting conclusion.

The quick and easy way to test compression is to yank on the pull starter. If you've pulled it with good compression, you'll know right away if it's low.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

biospheare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:03 PM »
Ill give you the update. I did a compression test earlier this week and had no compression at all. Today I managed to pull the head off. The piston was actually broke. It looked like something was inside the cylinder and my piston kept hitting it and it finally broke. I have lots of pictures that I will post up in a few. The cylinder looks pretty bad. I hope I can still bore it out and have it be OK.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 08:47:02 AM »
Quote from: "biospheare"
Ill give you the update. I did a compression test earlier this week and had no compression at all. Today I managed to pull the head off. The piston was actually broke. It looked like something was inside the cylinder and my piston kept hitting it and it finally broke. I have lots of pictures that I will post up in a few. The cylinder looks pretty bad. I hope I can still bore it out and have it be OK.

Ouch....Yea,please post pics...

biospheare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 04:36:10 AM »
Here are the pics. Let me know what you guys think. I do not know if I can bore it out. Can I get a new cylinder sleeve?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:06:02 AM »
Yea,you can get it sleeved or nickasil coated either one if it's past the final bore...I would plan on re-doing the lower end as well..Chaces are,a failed seal caused your problems...

biospheare

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 03:06:39 PM »
I will probably just get a new sleeve for it. Where would I get a new sleeve at? I'm not very familiar how this process goes. This would be my first piston change.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »
I will probably just get a new sleeve for it. Where would I get a new sleeve at? I'm not very familiar how this process goes. This would be my first piston change.

First,you need to have the cylinder measured to see what bore it's on,and make sure it is on its last one before waisting $$$$ on a sleeve if you don't need it...You could very well have enough room left to clean it up...
If you want it sleeved,go here
http://www.kustom-kraft.com

If you want it plated,go here
http://www.uschrome.com

biospheare

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
Yea, I will have to get it measured. There are some deep gashes in the cylinder wall and I wasn't wanting to go with a big bore because then I would have to change around the carb stuff right? I'm very new to this stuff so constructive criticism is helpful. Where would I find a full bottom end rebuild kit at? Thanks.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:56:54 AM »
Yea, I will have to get it measured. There are some deep gashes in the cylinder wall and I wasn't wanting to go with a big bore because then I would have to change around the carb stuff right? I'm very new to this stuff so constructive criticism is helpful. Where would I find a full bottom end rebuild kit at? Thanks.

Unless you have the proper tools such as a flywheel puller and a case splitter,I would send off to someone to have it done....There are several that will rebuild your engine...
Aftershock motorsports,pcp performance,and odyssey salvage just to name a few...