Author Topic: Motor Idea?????????  (Read 1664 times)

jamesrpa

• View Profile
Motor Idea?????????
« on: December 21, 2009, 07:43:42 PM »
Hello fellow speed junkys.  I'm new to this forum, and am 3months into this new obsession.  I now have 2 FL350's  One runs great and
I'm in the process of water cooling it.  My second one i picked up a month ago for cheap and got it to fire and run 4 a minute then it died.  I discovered a hole in the bottom of the crank case.  Upon disassembly, I've just bought a blown motor odyssey.  The piston is missing 1\3 of it's skirt.  I laughed my ass off.  So heres my crazy ass plan......i bought the 2nd one to convert to 4 stroke anyway but........just to be differnt I want to put a 2cyl 2 stroke Kawasaki 550 jetski motor in my second odyssey.  I know I'll have to fab up the exhaust to ditch the water cooled pipe but everything else to run those motors is in a nice water sealed box, which will make wiring a cinch.  I plan on using a bosch pump to a radiator of some size.......my only doubt is the crank size to mount a Comet clutch.  Can anybody think of any other snags..........the donor ski will only cost $400 in running condition so the cost is about the same or less than fixin the old motor.  Thanks for any help.

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Idea?????????
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 08:13:34 AM »
Quote from: "jamesrpa"
Hello fellow speed junkys.  I'm new to this forum, and am 3months into this new obsession.  I now have 2 FL350's  One runs great and
I'm in the process of water cooling it.  My second one i picked up a month ago for cheap and got it to fire and run 4 a minute then it died.  I discovered a hole in the bottom of the crank case.  Upon disassembly, I've just bought a blown motor odyssey.  The piston is missing 1\3 of it's skirt.  I laughed my ass off.  So heres my crazy ass plan......i bought the 2nd one to convert to 4 stroke anyway but........just to be differnt I want to put a 2cyl 2 stroke Kawasaki 550 jetski motor in my second odyssey.  I know I'll have to fab up the exhaust to ditch the water cooled pipe but everything else to run those motors is in a nice water sealed box, which will make wiring a cinch.  I plan on using a bosch pump to a radiator of some size.......my only doubt is the crank size to mount a Comet clutch.  Can anybody think of any other snags..........the donor ski will only cost $400 in running condition so the cost is about the same or less than fixin the old motor.  Thanks for any help.

You may have problems getting the clutches lined up...Some engines stick too far out the side when you scoot them over far enough to get the drive lined up with the driven...
Hoodlum

JCode

• View Profile
Motor Idea?????????
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
Seems to me a jetski motor is lot more work to fab up. They sit a lot differently and they are all built for low rpm grunt and not much high rpm power. They impeller can't turn to fast so they tune the motors differently.

I'd be looking at any cheap snowmobile. 440/500 cc motors can be had for pretty cheap. I see mid 90 440 'cats in the 550-900 dollar price range complete and running.

Not sure on this but aren't all the jetski motors kind of a open circut cooling. Suck water in one spot and shoot it out wherever. That sounds like more unnecessary fabing up to create a closed loop cooling system for it when any snowmobile engine is ready for it.

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
Motor Idea?????????
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 12:42:44 AM »
Im just starting my new fl 350 rebuild. I ve got the new polaris 500ho motor and most of the accessories. Ive found someone on here that had already done this swap and it looked fairly simple.