Author Topic: oilf gas mixture  (Read 1422 times)

vev78

• View Profile
oilf gas mixture
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:14:06 PM »
New to Odysseys.  The sticker on the tank says 20:1 but that seems like too much oil.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
oilf gas mixture
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 05:38:55 PM »
Run ANY good oil - say anything that you'd find at a motorcycle shop, NOT Wally World! - at 40:1 and you'll never have an issue.

32:1 to 50:1 is generally the range that most will tell you to use w/modern day oils.  In a water cooled machine I'd not worry about 50:1, but air cooled, I'd stay 32:1 to 40:1

I always found 40:1 easiest to do - 16oz (usually a bottle) to 5 gallons of fuel.  Pretty straight forward.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

vev78

• View Profile
oilf gas mixture
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Thank you for your reply Moskito.  I put in 20:1 like the sticker said and it smokes quite a bit.  I am using Spectra Gold. I will try 32:1.  Thanks again.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
oilf gas mixture
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 05:05:50 PM »
No problem.  Spectro's good stuff and 32:1 will be good.  You'll probably end up with black spooge at the end of the pipe or at any junction of the pipe, but you'll not have any issues.  If it still seems to smoke a lot, bump down to 40:1 and see how that works.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'