Author Topic: 4 stroke odyssey?  (Read 8797 times)

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
4 stroke odyssey?
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:18:15 PM »
Has anyone looked into transplanting a 4 stroke into an odyssey? My brother has a buggy that looks very similar to an odyssey, but were not sure if its custom or who made it. It has a suzuki 750 street bike motor from the 70's. The big difference is that it needs foot pedals for the cluth and throttle. Were in the process of rebuilding it, and redisigning  alot of very poorly engineered things done by the last owner to make it reliable again. I always like the low end torque of the 4 stroke and not having to worry about the mixed gas. My honda 400ex quad has been great with zero problems.

underdog

• View Profile
4 stroke odyssey?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:08:59 AM »
I have converted two FL350's to Polaris 500 engines.  I used the stock Polaris clutch with the stock Honda belt and driven clutch. Has considerable more power and uses about half the gas.

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
4 stroke odyssey?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 12:03:05 PM »
What did you get the 500 out of? Is it 2 or 4 stroke?  Was it factory water cooled? Did it fit in the exsisting frame structure? Sounds like what im looking for.

underdog

• View Profile
4 stroke odyssey?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
It's a four stroke single cylinder. factory water cooled. Come from an older Polaris 500 scrambler or Sportsman ATV, try to find one that is the HO version, they have more power. Usually can find engines and accessories on ebay. Its a dry sump engine and to fit behind the seat without modifying the frame, it has to be rotated backward about 100 degrees. You will have to modify the intake manifold to level the carburator. I don't think there is an easier repower than this. Bonuses are no ringa ding ding sound, starter never wears ou,t never burn up  pistons and a realy good clutch . Good Luck, I think you'll like it.

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
4 stroke odyssey?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »
It looks great. Good Job. THis just might be the answer ive been looking for. Could you possibly send me the all the pics you have to my email so when im ready to do it i can refer to some of your ideas? I appreciate all your help. There are so many helpful people on this site.
[email protected]

polassey

• View Profile
Thank-you underdog!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:31:07 PM »
Thanks to Underdog I got the idea for the polaris motor from you! By going through old forums last year It works great!   Thanks again.    Bill.

gmcjimmy4x4

• View Profile
Another polaris 500 odyssey on its way
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
Well i appreciate all the info and help i recieved on this site and im just starting my polaris sportsman 500 HO odyssey. Ive rounded up all the parts and set the motor in the frame today. This project has realy got me excited and i cant wait to try it out this summer.

biospheare

• View Profile
4 stroke odyssey?
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 10:54:45 PM »
My motor just broke this week. This thread caught my eye. I was wondering what parts are required to perform this swap. Could you email me a list of needed parts and all the information you have to complete this swap. My email is [email protected]. I was thinking about using this motor http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230453951396&viewitem=

thank you.

deftoyster

• View Profile
motor swap
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 11:18:40 PM »
Can you email all the picks of this swap you have, this is the best idea I have found for a motor swap! I am building this for my wife and would love the reliability of a 4stroke. Did you use the stock fl350 clutch or the polaris clutch.
Thanks for all your help.
My Email is [email protected]