Author Topic: newbie tire question  (Read 2445 times)

lucky luciano

• View Profile
newbie tire question
« on: September 14, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »
  if i put 24 inch front tires on my FL350R(stock front end), will it improve the handling or ability to take hard bumps at all? im mainly doing it to be able to hop logs easier.
                                                    -thanks for any input on the subject

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: newbie tire question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 10:36:05 PM »
It will increase ground clearance, but not improve handling. 12" wheels with taller tires would probably be best to keep the sidewall lower with a taller tire. You can probably find a 25 and a 23, but not sure about a 24 for the front. Works shocks would help handling.

lucky luciano

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 11:38:10 AM »
  thanks again for the info.  would the works shocks for the stock front help the handling enough to make them worth buying or should i just wait and save for the A-arm kit?
  also, is ther any way that i can get just the bolt on bracket for the front suspension without the a arms and shocks?  i want to throw on pilot a arms and works shocks for the stock pilot set up.  all i know is stock front end cannot handle the trails i ride and i need to do something before it breaks on the trail.

hey livewire, you seem to have the most knowledge about these machines, and are pretty much my go-to guy for any info that i need.  is there any way that i can just email/message you when ever i have questions?  i know its good for everyone on the forum to be able to read and learn from other peoples posts, but something more direct would be awesome.

thanks for the time

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 05:41:33 PM »
The front shocks add travel and improve the quality of the front travel. The improvement on the rear is huge. The front is not as significant. If considering going to the A-arm kit soon, you probably would not want to buy the front shocks now. If it will be a while, the resale value on Works shocks tends to be good. Our prices are 10% off and people seem to pay within 20-30% of MSRP on eBay. I have seen used Works shocks sell for more than we sell them for new. So you could get the front shocks then sell them later if getting the A-arm kit. The loss will probably be worth the ride improvement in the mean time.

It is possible to buy just the sub frame. If just the sub-frame, I would have to figure it out. If everything except the arms, it would be $650 off as I sell just the arms for $650. To use Pilot arms, you would still need to replace the pivot bushings with ours. The stock ones would most likely be shot on a used set of arms anyway. Hoodlum had a set of stock arms at one point. The outer tie rods would have to be shorter, probably by 4". I could get those made. I can't guarantee there won't be other things to contend with. The Ackermann angle will be off since set for the +4 arms. I said in another thread that stock Pilot shocks could be used. One issue though is the upper bolt is larger. You could probably get away with running the smaller bolt or maybe the shock can be drilled. Works shocks could be made to fit that would yield more travel.

My email is [email protected]

lucky luciano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
  as always thanks for all the advise.  i do have the works dual rate shocks on the rear already so that makes it easier than having to beef up both the front and the rear suspension.  all your insight is appreciated