Author Topic: Poor Acceleration  (Read 2314 times)

puffycombs

• View Profile
Poor Acceleration
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »
Hello all its me again. My FL350 has a 102C clutch with stock exhaust, engine, and pipe. The only mod is the k&N air filter. Compression of 160 and the carburetor has been completely removed, cleaned, and jetted by a professional shop. It runs very, very good.

I believe I have narrowed down the poor acceleration to the clutch. I tried three different belts from three different manufactures. The belt is OK (MAX belt is best by far), but when I drive the machine for a minimal amount of time, say 15-20 min the belt is extremely hot and I can only hold onto it for a few seconds before the pain is too much. I need your opinion about the acceleration. I have 24" tires and it will barely spin the tires in gravel. Is this normal? Also is there a "rebuild" kit for the 102C clutch?

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Poor Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50:16 PM »
Yup, the 102 is rebuildable. Don't forget to look at your driven.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

puffycombs

• View Profile
Poor Acceleration
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »
Quote from: "odypilots"
Yup, the 102 is rebuildable. Don't forget to look at your driven.

Do you know where the rebuild kit is available for purchase? I tried comet but found no "kit"

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Poor Acceleration
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:01:53 AM »
I'm not aware of a kit. You would find a Comet dealer and order the pieces you need. They could help you, I would think.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

Ozpilot

• View Profile
Poor Acceleration
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 07:12:23 PM »
I've seen kits in the past for 108EXPs - not sure if a "kit" exists for the 102.  Like Odypilots said, try the various sled shops etc.  Be prepared to spend a few dollars - it costs more to rebuild a clutch than you first imagine.

You may want to read up on the web then disassemble and clean what you have to try to find the problem before you spend too much on the primary in case its the secondary or something like that.

puffycombs

• View Profile
Poor Acceleration
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:04:29 PM »
The guy from comet said that all the parts are still available, however I have not found any breakdown of the clutch i.e. a fiche parts diagram or a shop manual. I tried searching the forum, but found no "how to" or breakdown of the clutch. If it cost to much I may just purchase a new 94 clutch. What do you guys think about that clutch?