Author Topic: fuel pump problems  (Read 2414 times)

cowhater

• View Profile
fuel pump problems
« on: April 05, 2009, 11:56:07 PM »
when I first start my 250, I have good return flow of fuel to gas tank. After about 15 seconds, you can see a decrease in fuel flow and it eventually peters out to nothing and then of course engine stalls. Fuel pump has been rebuilt, new fuel filter. Engine seems to run good. I have inspected vacuum hose between engine and pump. I ran a vacuum test with the hose connected to fuel pump with mityvac hand pump and no leaks. I have seen an electric fuel pump available for $38.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
fuel pump problems
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:51:01 AM »
Is there a restriction in any other part of the fuel system? Are the pickup tubes in the tank clogged? How are you testing the pump?

cowhater

• View Profile
fuel pump problems
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"
Is there a restriction in any other part of the fuel system? Are the pickup tubes in the tank clogged? How are you testing the pump?

could you tell me what that Tee is for in the fuel line? If memory serves I replaced that years ago when I first had this problem but I have read where the Honda tees were defective, left a spring out or something. This Odyssey hasn't been run since then, I just gave up on it(got a 350 that I rode instead). I'm trying to get it fixed so I can sell it now. Could this be my problem?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
fuel pump problems
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
The tee is a bypass back to the tank. If there isn't a restriction in the line returning to the tank then not enough fuel will be diverted to the line that feeds the carb. You can use a regular tee, but you have to put a restriction in the return line. Some people have used carb jets, or something similar to restrict the return line and increase the amount of fuel going to the carb.

autotech57103

• View Profile
fuel pump problems
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:32:29 PM »
Is the tank venting properly? With it pumping fuel out of the tank it needs some air in. Could be pulling a vacuum. Retest it with the gascap off