Author Topic: Starter drive  (Read 2252 times)

kprofdreams

• View Profile
Starter drive
« on: March 06, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »
Got a problem with my starter, it will throw out but seems to slip inside the pinion? the engine rotates about 3 times or so. then all you can hear the starter whine but thats it. I've done a top end rebuilt. if I try x number of times then it will eventually start then there are no problems. also if i take out the sparkplug it will crank all day with out a problem.

just FYI I checked or replaced the following

battery,
"new starter" less than 3 hours on the starter or rebuilt engine
cables
solenoid  

any ideas?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Starter drive
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 01:33:50 AM »
Quote from: "kprofdreams"
Got a problem with my starter, it will throw out but seems to slip inside the pinion? the engine rotates about 3 times or so. then all you can hear the starter whine but thats it. I've done a top end rebuilt. if I try x number of times then it will eventually start then there are no problems. also if i take out the sparkplug it will crank all day with out a problem.

just FYI I checked or replaced the following

battery,
"new starter" less than 3 hours on the starter or rebuilt engine
cables
solenoid  

any ideas?

Have you taken the side cover off and looked at the gears? May be some teeth missing on one of the gears...
Hoodlum

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Starter drive
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:20:19 AM »
You might also check your battery. If it's low but not shot, it could be the problem. How much running time do you have with the "new" starter? You may have oil up in the starter if you have filled the balancer  oil up to the full mark on the dip stick. Honda has said to only fill it to the low mark to prevent oil from getting into the starter.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

kprofdreams

• View Profile
Starter drive
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:59:58 AM »
Thanks for the help you were right it was the battery. It turns out that my charger was not working properly.  after i saw the responses i decided to try the battery again and i had a friend charge it at his shop and then amazingly the ody started with no problem.

Thanks again
kpro

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Starter drive
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 04:49:17 PM »
You're welcome. Shared experience is the beauty of these forums.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)