Author Topic: 1985 FL350R Odyssey 350 Starter rebuild Tutorial  (Read 4522 times)

Weed

• View Profile
1985 FL350R Odyssey 350 Starter rebuild Tutorial
« on: February 15, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
This is a basic installation of the Starter Rebuild kit that I carry in my store.  www.pilotodysseyperformance.com  

Not only do I sell great quality replacement parts.....I also know how to install them.  I only carry the best replacement products so you know your parts will last a long time.

You must be carefull about other guys selling parts because most have no clue what they are selling or how to install.  

Lets get started........

1.  Remove the Starter from your Odyssey.  You will need to remove the drive clutch and the bracket on the clutch side.  There are 3 fasteners that bolt the snout side of the starter to pull start side.

2.  Cleanliness is key to any rebuild, dissassemble your starter and clean everything to the best of your ability.

3. Inspect the bearings and bushings within the starter housings.  The bearing and bushings almost never wear due to such low usage, therefore I don't include them with my rebuild kit.  You shouldn't have to pay for something you don't need.

Here are pictures for the rest of the rebuild.........Click the picture for a larger view.

Weed

• View Profile
350 Starter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:40:32 PM »
Part 2

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:53:33 PM »
Very nice work. I would like to mention the rebukid kit is in the electrical catagory. By chance do you provide these instructions with the kit. If not, you should it would really make it easier for a novice. Do you offer rebuild services for those you may not want to do it them selves.

Got any more.

Weed

• View Profile
odyssey starter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:49:18 PM »
I am going to put a link from my store to this post so anyone that buys one will know exactly what to do to install.

We do offer rebuild services.  A starter usually takes about 2 hours, start to finish and that includes cleaning, blasting, turing the armature, painting and assembly.  If the armature is shot, the starter will be junked.  I sell complete starters but this is the most economical way to get your starter going.

I am trying to do a tutorial every other week.......up next is a Pilot engine rebuild, Pilot transmission rebuild.  It takes alot of time and effort to make a good informative tutorial.  

The Pilot starter is basically the same rebuild but with 2 brushes, not 4.  I plan on doing one for it too.......

Adnoh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »
Oh boy, I cant wait. Will you post up your pramiters for the engine. You now I like engine rebuilds. It will be nice to see how others do it and what output there after.  Go Weed Racer Go. I promise not to be an arm chair quarte back. The new job must be less stressful if you got time to play. Glad to see it. Warm weather comming time to hit the dunes.

aas5f6

• View Profile
Video
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
That video is sweet. Makes me want to go ride!

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:25:37 PM »
Quote from: "adnoh"
Oh boy, I cant wait. Will you post up your pramiters for the engine. You now I like engine rebuilds. It will be nice to see how others do it and what output there after.  Go Weed Racer Go. I promise not to be an arm chair quarte back. The new job must be less stressful if you got time to play. Glad to see it. Warm weather comming time to hit the dunes.

My post will be a generic stock rebuild without modifications, timing changes, chamber cutting, squish, or porting.  This will cover the basics of 2-stoke rebuilding.  

The new job is wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy better and my stress level is close to nill......  I also like working with the guys in the field.  They make the job fun.

I need to get on my Pilot project......I am in the process of powdercoating the frame and rebuilding all the components.  I will have to wait 4 weeks on transmission gaskets.  They have been discontinued for quite awhile so I am having them commercially made.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:52:59 PM »
I still need a set....its either that or permatex.

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gaskets
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
I  have  the full stock honda gasket set for the FL400 and I also have the long time discontinued transmission set.

I would be willing to lend these out (as a pattern, if need be) to someone who has the ability to make up additional sets.

Dennis

Weed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »
I am going to digitize the transmission case.....but if you have both gaskets it wouldn't hurt to have them to measure up the holes and get the right thickness.........

I plan on making at least 25 sets to begin with.......