Author Topic: 2007 Yamaha Phazer 500cc EFI twin conversion  (Read 18335 times)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
2007 Yamaha Phazer 500cc EFI twin conversion
« on: December 21, 2008, 01:19:33 AM »
This is the place I will try and detail what I am doing with my pilot. I will eventually have a 2007 yamaha phazer engine installed in my pilot.

Here is an article I snagged about the motor from ATVSport.com

For 2007, Yamaha released a new Phazer snowmobile it calls ?The lightest liquid-cooled sport sled.? The Phazer 500 features an all-new engine that churns out 80 hp from a four-stroke, two-cylinder 498cc fuel injected engine. Does that twin cylinder sound familiar Banshee fans?

But it?s how that engine was developed that has churned the rebirth of the Banshee rumors. The Phazer features the Genesis 80FI engine that is based on the old two-stroke YZ250F dirt bike engine.

?It?s actually two of them engineered together to become a snowmobile engine,? Yamaha says. ?The Genesis 80FI ? with a 5-valve head makes its peak horsepower at 12,000 rpm.? Interestingly, the former Banshee used a GP-motorcycle-derived 347cc two-stroke powerplant.

ATV Sport
A look at the throttle bodies of the Genesis 80FI engine inside the Yamaha Phazer chassis.
The Genesis 80FI actually has the same bore and stroke as the YZ250F at 77 x 53.6mm even though it?s a four-stroke. Compare the Genesis? bore and stroke to the Banshee?s 64 x 54mm and there?s reason to be excited if it did become reality. The engine is die cast and plated cylinders keep the weight down.

Engine Dynamics

Everybody remembers how frustrating the high-revving Banshee could be in loam and deep sand. One could rev the snot out of it and just spin the tires. With the Genesis 80FI on the Phazer, Yamaha employed a gear reduction system to capture the power.

With the engine making its best power at 12,000 rpm ? compared to the Raptor 700R?s 9,000 rpm ? the gear reduction system improves clutching with the reducer in place. Yamaha says the reducer is geared at 35/50.

Another added feature includes the knock control system that protects the engine from detonation due to bad fuel. The 80FI is rated for 91-octane fuel.

A lightweight, counterbalanced crankshaft provides ?super-crisp throttle response and quick acceleration,? Yamaha says. The counterbalanced crank reduces vibration sent through the engine and chassis to the rider that can be present in two-cylinder machines. That would be a welcomed relief from the vibration-happy decades old Banshee. This is a newly designed gear-driven crank. ?The second and third lobes on the crank are designed with a wider channel than the first and fourth to reduce weight,? Yamaha says.

Technology found on this engine is what Banshee owners have been waiting years for: fuel injection, a lightweight four-stroke engine that delivers torque-hungry performance and reduced vibration from a twin cylinder. Lucky for the snowmobilers, they got the technology first. Let's hope the ATV enthusiasts aren't left out!

80 4-stroke fuel sipping fuel injected power in a pilot! Where's my Milwaukee's Best? Because it sure doesn't get any better than this!

From additional research I've found that the peak HP is from 10,500-11,700 with peak torque at 8,800 RPM. With the reduction the driven clutch is turning at 7,350 RPM when the engine is turning 10,500 RPM, and turning 8,190 RPM when the engine is at 11,700 RPM.

To calculate how fast the engine is turning at any given clutch speed divide the clutch speed by 0.7. Or the primary clutch speed can be determined  by multiplying the engine RPM by 0.7.

The pilot transmission gear ratio is 9.857:1. Stock tire size is 24"

I will be using a 10-1/2" team driven clutch with the stock yamaha drive clutch which is 8" in diameter. Does anyone have any idea where I should start with driven clutch tuning? I have 4 different helix angles to choose from and 3 different springs on hand. The clutch is packed away right now, but when I get a chance I'll post the angles and the spring weights.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
2007 Yamaha Phazer 500cc EFI twin conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 02:01:58 AM »
more interesting phazer information.

The new Yamaha Genesis 80 FI 4-stroke found in the all-new 2007 Phazer models produces a claimed 80 HP! How is this possible, from a 4-stroke of only 500cc? One of the ways is with high compression (12.4:1), high RPM (11,250 RPM) and a knock sensor - the Phazer Knock Control System (KCS).

Yamaha tells us the engine makes its rated 80 HP when using the recommended hi-octane fuel (premium) but that you can use 87-octane fuel, as the KCS system will automatically detect the lower octane fuel (via knock) and adjust the ignition timing accordingly. This will result in a loss of 4 HP without engine damage and without the KCS light coming on.

During prototype testing of the Phazer, Yamaha ran the system for over 4,000 miles on 87-octane fuel (before the oil cooler was added, no less) and the engine remained within specification after tear-down inspection. The KCS system is designed so that the Phazer models can be used on 87-octane fuel, assuming the proper gearing and clutching calibrations for the elevation of operation. If the KCS light comes on, consider the fuel source or the riding conditions (wet, heavy snow) or the transmission calibration (heavy flyweights, tall gearing).

If the KCS light flashes, this indicates a more severe knock condition and ignition timing adjustment. The light will continue to flash until the key is turned off to make sure the operator sees it. If this conditions repeats, engine speed will be limited to approximately 6,000 RPM. You should stop the engine, let it cool sufficiently, and make every attempt to replace the fuel with higher quality fuel and make the appropriate calibration changes, if required.

Most of the time, the light will never come on or flash at all. The system is intended to be a reliability safeguard and fuel switch, all automatically and seamlessly.

b s

• View Profile
Re: 2007 Yamaha Phazer 500cc EFI twin conversion
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:24:15 AM »
has any thing ever become of this conversion?