Author Topic: modifications anybody????  (Read 5682 times)

derrik

• View Profile
modifications anybody????
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »
hot dang do i love forums,i never thought in a million years i'd find one for my old dinosaur.

right now my top end is in the machine shop getting an overhaul.
but i got a couple of questions for some of the guys who have played in the aftermarket field longer than i have.

i'm pretty shure you guys know about odyssey salvage.com.
he has the stock OEM intake manifold and one made by mosseberg or some thing close to that name,but he claims it's better than stock,does anyone know what makes them better if they are at all?
do the reed valves help alot(are they worth it)???

and as far as pipes go.....is DG my only option for an aftermarket pipe(is there anything better....or better yet the best)

by the way,my 82 fl250 is %100 stock OEM.
as a matter of fact this is it's first re-build on the top end.
never gave us a problem since it was new.
it aint fast without mixed gas.

derrik

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »
does nobody know what i'm talking about????

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:16:17 AM »
As far as pipes go, DG is the only new option. From time to time there are other brands of used aftermarket used ones on ebay.

The reed cage will add very little to a stock motor.

The best upgrade for the odyssey is 1973/74 CR250 top-end along with a larger carb, and aftermarked pipe. Then the reed cage will help.

Other than that there isn't much you can do other than porting.

derrik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 12:32:49 PM »
do you know the differance between the stock intake manifonl and the one from MOSSBARGER?

as far as cooling my motor i plan to make airscoops that go in front of the fenders(polished aluminum always looks sexy :wink: )

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:45:38 AM »
The difference is that the mossberger intake adds reeds. Without other modifications such as major porting, piston mods, a larger carb, and an aftermarket pipe, the mossberger cage is a waste of money.

If you are planning on doing mods I would add them in the following order:

1. Aftermarket roll cage. The roll cage is junk!
2. uni-filter  air filter(no k&n they allow too much dirt to pass into your engine).
3. Pipe.
4. Carb. that is jetted correctly. The stock carb is 28mm a 32mm would be plenty.
5. Porting by someone who knows what they are doing.
6. DG head.
7. 1974/74 CR250 cylinder with porting and an even larger carb. 34-38 mm. Then you will begin to see a little increase with the mossberger intake.
8. Goki electric starter kit.
9. Aftermarket clutch. Comet or powerbloc
10. Save your money and buy a decent FL350 odyssey or FL400 Pilot.

There is only so much you can do to these tired worn out machines. Don't expect more performance out of them than is reasonably expected. Much more HP than stock and you can't use it because you have no suspension to keep the tires in contact with the ground, and the stock roll cage/roll bar is junk.

You can spend a ton of money on upgrades, but you will still have a buggy that will never be much more than a souped up dingo go-kart.

derrik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 10:44:17 PM »
i was under the impression that the mossberger intake had two options,with or with out reeds.

i have no plans to get rid of my 250 for any thing else......ive been around this thing all my life(19years)

its just a awsomly cool go cart for me to play and tinker with when i'm not on my bike.

since it's in very close to perfect original condition i plan to restore it to showroom condition,with a few upgrades....maybe a pipe and carb.

but i do have another question about the airfilter.
about 5years ago my dad replaced the stock airfilter for another OEM honda one.i cant seem to get it to completly cover the metal filter it's supposed to go around so it's sucked some dirt.are all the filters such a tight fit around the metal filter?
i plan in buying a uni for it before i even start it with the new top end,but is there a filter setup that is more secure and eliminates the metal filter all together???

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 04:00:46 PM »
I don't know about filters from a different machine that might work. Go with the UNI; properly oiled and maintained it will provide the best protection to you engine.

Hale

• View Profile
odyssey
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:41 PM »
what is the difference in the 73-74 cr250 top end? is the odyssey 250 the same as the old elsinore? also can a 78 6 volt be converted to a 12v? thanks

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 04:08:47 PM »
There is a CR250 elsinore and an MT250 elsinore. The MT250 is the same as the odyssey. The CR250 has much better porting than the MT250, and will bolt directly onto the odyssey bottom end.

As far as changing from a 6v system to a 12v CDI system you would need the stator, wiring harness, CDI module, flywheel, and coil off of a newer odyssey (81-84).

Hale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 01:37:07 AM »
I see, that's helpful, thanks for the info. I'm just getting into these things, and I've already done a pretty extensive overhaul to my 78, but theres still a bunch that I dont know. This is actually my first 2 stroke. Do you think the motor in my atc 250r is the same? Its an 82, I bought it after the odyssey, someone told me it was also based on the elsinore. I'm glad to hear that the 12 volt system is a bolt on upgrade, I was afraid I'd need an entire 82 or newer motor, or at least bottom end, and I was considering the goki starter, but I didnt want to have to trickle charge my battery EVERY time I wanted to ride.... Thanks a bunch!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 04:12:51 AM »
You will still have to trickle charge the battery because the system is AC output only. I am pretty sure that there is a diagram somewhere on the site for a charging circuit. Just do a search. The search link in the header right next to the FAQ.

I'm not sure about the ATC, but I don't think its the same, although the ATC pistons for some years are the same, or will work.