Author Topic: Maintnance  (Read 3715 times)

jlbspd

• View Profile
Maintnance
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:02:41 PM »
Im not sure but asked a local shop about changing the oil/lube in my new 350. No one knows much about these around my part (Tampa Fl) but he suggested using gear saver and that one quart would be enough... any thoughts?

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Maintnance
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
Quote from: "jlbspd"
Im not sure but asked a local shop about changing the oil/lube in my new 350. No one knows much about these around my part (Tampa Fl) but he suggested using gear saver and that one quart would be enough... any thoughts?

If you are referring to the balancer oil in the engine,just use a good 10w/40 synthetic motor oil....There is a check bolt next to the drain plug on the bottom of the engine....Take it out, and fill until oil runs out the check hole.....It will not take anywhere near a quart.....
The only other oil in the machine is in the gear box, and it takes the exact same oil....Fill plug is in the side of the tranny...This fills up until it runs out the fill hole.....Not sure exactly how much, but 2 quarts is more than enough to fill the balancer and gear box....
Hoodlum

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »
Quote from: "Hoodlum"

If you are referring to the balancer oil in the engine,just use a good 10w/40 synthetic motor oil....There is a check bolt next to the drain plug on the bottom of the engine....Take it out, and fill until oil runs out the check hole.....It will not take anywhere near a quart.....
The only other oil in the machine is in the gear box, and it takes the exact same oil....Fill plug is in the side of the tranny...This fills up until it runs out the fill hole.....Not sure exactly how much, but 2 quarts is more than enough to fill the balancer and gear box....
Hoodlum

Randy your talking about a FL400 Pilot Right ?

I believe the FL350 has a dipstick and Honda changed the recommended fill mark to be what was once the low mark on the dipstick to help prevent oil from getting into the starter.

Dennis
[/img]

jlbspd

• View Profile
Maintnance
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
This is a Fl350...sorry for not being more clear and yes ive read that Honda changed the fill to the low level on the dipstick in the rear. So do i still use the same oil suggested? I have a quart of Gear Saver they shop sold me.....i need to get my hands on a manual.....
Thanks guys for any advice. I have always wanted a 350 since they came out and look, 23 years later i saved enough pennies LOL :wink:

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Maintnance
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:39:31 PM »
This is a Fl350...sorry for not being more clear and yes ive read that Honda changed the fill to the low level on the dipstick in the rear. So do i still use the same oil suggested? I have a quart of Gear Saver they shop sold me.....i need to get my hands on a manual.....
Thanks guys for any advice. I have always wanted a 350 since they came out and look, 23 years later i saved enough pennies LOL :wink:

Yes ??10w/30 or 10w/40 is the recommended oil
No  ??I would not use Gear Saver

Go here to download a online manual - (at least until you buy the real one)

http://www.atlanticpaints.com/Manuals/

Later
Dennis

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:25:02 AM »
Quote from: "FL670R"
Quote from: "Hoodlum"

Hoodlum

Randy your talking about a FL400 Pilot Right ?

I believe the FL350 has a dipstick and Honda changed the recommended fill mark to be what was once the low mark on the dipstick to help prevent oil from getting into the starter.

Dennis
[/img]

You are sooooooo right Dennis.....I completely forgot.....Oh well, if you get a pilot,atleast you will know how to fill the balancer....lol....
Hoodlum

jlbspd

• View Profile
Maintnance
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
Thanks Dennis! been looking for this!
Hoodlum LMAO!  yeah i would have rather had the pilot but hard to find,,,,& this is the first Oddy ive seen around here in MANNNN...YEARS! so ill take what i can get right!
Thanks guys....i am very good with all this stuff normally but dealing with "older Technology" and trying to find good reliable info is harder than i thought but you guys are Honda Heaven sent  :D

Weed

• View Profile
Maintnance
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:44:14 AM »
Where are you located?????  Maybe it was posted but I didn't see it.  Where do you primarily ride?

Weed.

jlbspd

• View Profile
Maintnance
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »
Im located East of Tampa Florida, between Tampa and Orlando.....not many places here to ride and havent had my Oddy but 4 wks and working out all the bugs...so i havent found anywhere to ride yet except the 2 acres next to my house. I was wondering how much of a fan base the oddys and pilots have in central Florida.