Author Topic: New 350 owner...Can u help?  (Read 6439 times)

jlbspd

• View Profile
New 350 owner...Can u help?
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »
I just purchased a Oddy 350 and has the updated head. It wouldnt rev or accellerate very well but after a carb clean and basic tune up ex. spark plug,new gas, filter, carb adjustment it seems to skoot along pretty well. My concern is when it idles, it has a loud rattling sound coming from the belt area. As soon as u change the rpm, even just the VERY SLIGHTEST bit, it sounds great but when it idles back down its loud again???
Also unless i start it up in gear, to shift it you must kinda force it in gear...grinds a lil bit. It shifts fine if i shift it immediately after coming to a stop but if it idles for a few, its back to grinding when i try????
Also the tie rod ends for the front steering are flat worn out! any idea on new replacements?
Thanks guys, been wanting one since 1985 and FINALLY got one! :lol:

stix

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »
Congrats on your new/used purchase. I also wanted one since they popped up on the Honda dealers showroom floor. I just bought two FL350's last fall. Did a restoration on both, mostly mechanical and a little cosmetic. Randy at Odysseysalvage.com is where I get most of my parts, he has almost everything and is very helpful http://odysseysalvage.com/ .Weed who posts here also has some awesome performance upgrades http://www.pilotodysseyperformance.com/view_product.php?product=POWER%20PROS%20Odyssey%20350%20Pipe&cat_id=12. About the rattling at idle, are you running a Comet duster 94c drive clutch? They tend to rattle.I will be contacting comet's tech guys to get to the bottom of the rattle. I have heard a lot of guys say the Comet 94c clutches rattle or chirp when motor is idling, and thats normal however I will be getting some tech advice on this. About grinding when shifting into gear, as long as your idle is not set too high,a pop or slight grind is normal for a FL350 when shifting into gear. I always make sure the moter is completely reved down before I shift. Also avoid idleing in neutral for any length of time, why?, while transmission is in neutral and motor is idling, you will notice the driven clutch is most likey spinning,thus the output shaft on the transmission is spinning inside the trans also, For some reason the only time oil is lubricating this shaft is when the transmission is in gear, thus no lubrication on shaft when in idle. If you have a 4100+ rpm stall on your clutch this might not be an issue,one of my FL350's clutch has the "yellow"clutch engage spring so it takes more rpm to engage so my driver clutch wont spin at idle...Too much info yet???. Also make sure you lube your clutch only with Comet clutch lube or equivelent. Randy at Odyssey salvage sells a tie rod-end/tie-rod kit. You get all four ends and much stronger rods. Costs about as much as 4 Honda rod ends and when they wear out they are cheaper to replace. Well enough rambling, good luck with your Ody , we have been having a freakin blast with ours this summer!!

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:30:27 PM »
A lot of clutches rattle at idle, the pucks are loose and move around when the clutch is rotating slowly.
As you apply the gas the centrifugal force holds them in place and thus the rattle disappears...

The grinding on a FL350 is because the driven is spinning when you try and put it in gear.
At very low idle it may not spin or spin very slow thus no or less grinding...
One solution is to remove the neutral start switch on the back thus you can start it in gear and NO grinding...
WARNING - after doing this the machine will start and Take off if you rev the gas...

I used to warm up my FL350s in neutral and then turn it off put it in gear and start it again...  (thus no grinding)

later
Dennis

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:11:47 PM »
Note: prolonged idling will shorten AB gear life and these parts are no longer available.
Thank you
"The Nut"

jlbspd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 08:06:25 AM »
Thanks guys! this all makes perfect sense. I have no idea what clutch this has. As far as i can tell everything is stock on it. I normally start it up in gear with the pull start as my elect start hasnt worked. I was also told by another guy to let it idle in gear if at all possible so i do for the lube issue.

I wish i knew someone local (Tampa Fl area) that has a good running Oddy...this way i could compare mine to see if its running to its fullest lol. I checked with the local Honda dealer about doing a run thru on it but they seem more clueless about this machine than me HAAAAA!!!!

redskinman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »
Quote from: "stix"
Congrats on your new/used purchase. I also wanted one since they popped up on the Honda dealers showroom floor. I just bought two FL350's last fall. Did a restoration on both, mostly mechanical and a little cosmetic. Randy at Odysseysalvage.com is where I get most of my parts, he has almost everything and is very helpful http://odysseysalvage.com/ .Weed who posts here also has some awesome performance upgrades http://www.pilotodysseyperformance.com/view_product.php?product=POWER%20PROS%20Odyssey%20350%20Pipe&cat_id=12. About the rattling at idle, are you running a Comet duster 94c drive clutch? They tend to rattle.I will be contacting comet's tech guys to get to the bottom of the rattle. I have heard a lot of guys say the Comet 94c clutches rattle or chirp when motor is idling, and thats normal however I will be getting some tech advice on this. About grinding when shifting into gear, as long as your idle is not set too high,a pop or slight grind is normal for a FL350 when shifting into gear. I always make sure the moter is completely reved down before I shift. Also avoid idleing in neutral for any length of time, why?, while transmission is in neutral and motor is idling, you will notice the driven clutch is most likey spinning,thus the output shaft on the transmission is spinning inside the trans also, For some reason the only time oil is lubricating this shaft is when the transmission is in gear, thus no lubrication on shaft when in idle. If you have a 4100+ rpm stall on your clutch this might not be an issue,one of my FL350's clutch has the "yellow"clutch engage spring so it takes more rpm to engage so my driver clutch wont spin at idle...Too much info yet???. Also make sure you lube your clutch only with Comet clutch lube or equivelent. Randy at Odyssey salvage sells a tie rod-end/tie-rod kit. You get all four ends and much stronger rods. Costs about as much as 4 Honda rod ends and when they wear out they are cheaper to replace. Well enough rambling, good luck with your Ody , we have been having a freakin blast with ours this summer!!

where can I purchase the comet clutch lube? or equivalent