Author Topic: 420 350 ready to play again  (Read 2893 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
420 350 ready to play again
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »
I have not turned a wrench on the 420c 350 since last summer when I did a full rebuild then. I did a much better job balancing the 88.50MM YZ piston this time so hopefully the reliability will be there. Anyway, I brought it up here to North Dakota with me last weekend to work any bugs out of it so it will be ready for any summer "Great Western ride" that may happen. The damn thing refused to start and would backfire occasionally. After some troubleshooting, I found that I had sheared the woodruff key on the flywheel. I have never had that happen to me before. I did open up and clean up the transfers, intake and exhaust ports, made a smoother transfer through the reeds and intake so hopefully it will make a little better power than before. Some of you guys might remember how it ran at Killpecker a couple of years back and that is the piston setup I went back to. I will need to pull the carb and reset the float level, dribbling some gas out and recheck some electrical stuff but I should have some action pictures soon. I could pull the front tires off the ground and carry them several yards in the dirt at 6,000 ft so i am expecting more down at 2,000ft, we will see I guess. I also added some new ATVR nerfs too, thanks Weed!

On another note, I found a used Joyner 2 seater kart up here for sale today. Looks to have a large 4 stroke engine in it. Anyone know if they are worth a crap or not. It looks used but not beat. It may be a good starter machine for the wife.

Gary

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Of the CORBs out there (Chinese Off Road Buggy), the Joyner is probably one of the better available, but overall they quality of them is not wonderful.

If you want to consider a Pilot a 9 or 10 on the quality scale, the Joyner's probably about a 5, maybe 6.

One advantage the Joyner has over many of the other CORBs is that you can actually get parts and I believe there are some hop up parts available too.  There is a turbo kit for some of them.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:30:44 PM »
Thanks Skeeter, any idea what they may be worth? It may be a good machine for the wife to ride, she doesn't particularly like my oddys, too noisy.

I pulled the 420 out in the paved parking lot today. It will boil the tires and can do donuts at will. It will be faster than last year for sure, just hope the reliability is there. I will post up some pics and vids as soon as I can.

Gary

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »
Quote from: "Nuke Em"

I pulled the 420 out in the paved parking lot today. It will boil the tires and can do donuts at will. It will be faster than last year for sure, just hope the reliability is there. I will post up some pics and vids as soon as I can.

Gary

Son that sounds like a challenge...

Load her up and lets rumble somewhere...

8)  8)  8)  8)

Later
Dennis
(who still lives by the moto: there is no replacement for displacement)

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »
I really need a riding fix. I have not rode since my 275 foot tumble at Dumont Cali over a year ago and got the concussion. :roll:  Any chance you are coming out to Walden or Killpecker this year Dennis?

The 420 is back to the same setup I had on your Killpecker trip except the piston is lighter and alot closer to balanced. I also did alot of internal porting and polishing (mostly opening up transfers and cleaning up the flow). I also am using a larger intake and reed setup that has been blended to help the flow. It might not catch the 670 but maybe it will, who knows. I also plumbed the NOS in, but did not hook it up. I still have a bad feeling about it.

You have any super secret projects brewing? I won't tell, promise.... :wink:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 07:53:34 AM »
I also plumbed the NOS in, but did not hook it up. I still have a bad feeling about it.

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Psss..you know the boondocker units I have are also NOS controllers :wink:  8)  Won't help for your carb'd engine...but when you get your EFI stuffed in! Well the 600EFI, if you tune it right (boondocker, hint hint) will pass Dennis without NOS  :P

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
I really need a riding fix. I have not rode since my 275 foot tumble at Dumont Cali over a year ago and got the concussion. :roll:  Any chance you are coming out to Walden or Killpecker this year Dennis?

You have any super secret projects brewing? I won't tell, promise.... :wink:

4:13 AM - Darn thats kinda early (or maybe real late ?)

The only trip I have on my radar thus far is St. Joe MO in June 24-28
(ain't you from them parts ?)

Shaping up to be the summer of fishing trips for me
Heading to Alaska June 10-14 and Canada Aug 11-15

There's always a chance I might slip out to Walden or NE Forest or LS if some others agree to join me....

I do need to get wrenching on a few things, wifes pilots is still smashed from WV and I haven't started the engine swap yet on the drak...

The two seater pilot and 500cc FL350 are also still on the back burner...

If only I'd hit that darn lottery I'd quit my job and have plenty of spare time to get to it...

Later
Dennis

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »
Give me some info on the boondocker equip, I did not pay close enough attention I guess. Its a replacement controller for the 600efi?

4:13 AM - It was 6:30ish this morning when I one finger typed that in???????
The only trip I have on my radar thus far is St. Joe MO in June 24-28
(ain't you from them parts ?) -----I am from just North of there but I am working in Minot North Dakota all year

Shaping up to be the summer of fishing trips for me
Heading to Alaska June 10-14 and Canada Aug 11-15 -------Going just for the halibut? Couldn't help it, had to say it LOL. Best fishing on the planet as far as I am concerned. ND is pretty good for walleye so far, caught my limit 11 of 14 trips so far, and big ones too!
There's always a chance I might slip out to Walden or NE Forest or LS if some others agree to join me.... ---My oldest graduates HS mid to late May so I am taking some time off then, how about a couple of days trip then?
I do need to get wrenching on a few things, wifes pilots is still smashed from WV and I haven't started the engine swap yet on the drak... snap to it!
The two seater pilot and 500cc FL350 are also still on the back burner...

If only I'd hit that darn lottery I'd quit my job and have plenty of spare time to get to it... wouldn't we all!

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:20:21 PM »
Took the Ody out for a 45min play  in the local riding area this afternoon. She ran pretty strong especially mid range to top endish. Bottom end seemed a little more boggy than I liked, I think the clutch engaged too early before I could really get into the powerband. It was real evident when starting to excellerate and climbing very long steep hills. One in particular got steeper as you climbed topping out at probably 75 deg or more and rough. Thought I was either going to loose traction or go over backwards, kinda scary by myself.

Next I noticed the left front tire kept rubbing the nerf bar when I turned. After I started looking closer at it, the tire is 2 inches further back than the right. Must have happen in the nasty Dumont 10+ end over end roll.

The very last trail I went down got very rough and I hit a kinda deep washout very hard. The idle jumped up quite a bit(3,000 rpms?) and the carb had a steady stream peaing out the overflows so I loaded it up.

The entire time the highest EGT temps I saw were 1225-1250 and that was when I peaked the really steep climb and running staedy at 1/3 throttle. The longest high speed runs that I could run yielded 1200 so its pretty close on the main but maybe could try a thinner needle and low jet. Not sure whats up with the rpms, sound like an air leak of some kind or the slide is sticking open some. Maybe a leakdown test is in order, any other ideas? I'll tear into it this week, supposed to snow through Monday so I won't be fishing.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 09:24:29 PM »
Give me some info on the boondocker equip, I did not pay close enough attention I guess. Its a replacement controller for the 600efi?

copy and paste from write up on ZR600 kit:

Boondocker EFI controller allows for pushbutton jetting. Need to richen up your jetting, come to an idle, select the appropriate rpm range and push the up arrow, press down to remove fuel from the stock fuel map. There are 5 rpm settings (each is actually a range that overlaps the one before and after it), and each range has 3 load settings. Spend some time with it and you can rid the engine of any lean, or flat spots, you can also adjust for a lean/rich condition from PTO to MAG side cylinder. It is also a controller for adding a NOS system if you want to take it to the next level!

It allows you to add or subtract fuel over and above what the stock fuel map does at preset rpm settings (which are actually overlapping ranges).  The NOS application I don't know much about....but they're labeled as NOS controllers.