Author Topic: Clutch bolt  (Read 1821 times)

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
Clutch bolt
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:11:20 AM »
I have a new clutch (94c) and I am ready to put it on. The bolt that came with the clutch doesn?t fit the threads on the shaft.  I haven?t found a tap and die set with the right size, 12 with fine thread at 1.25. I am sure it is out there but I was wondering if you guys think I could use the original bolt and just put washers on it so it will fit. Or should I wait to get the correct die size?

Weed

• View Profile
Clutch bolt
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »
Do not tap the crank......Where did you order the clutch from?  If it is for a snowmobile it won't work.  The correct clutch should come with the right bolt.  

I do think that you can re-use the stock bolt, I know you can for the 102C clutch.

Weed

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
Clutch bolt
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 12:49:28 AM »
Thanks for the reply,

I wasnt going to tap the shaft but I was going to die out the bolt to match the stock bolt. I bought the 94c off E bay but I will have to check my records to see who sold it to me. The previous clutch I had was a 102c. When you said if it was from a snowmobile it wont work, what did you mean? Is there more than one type of Comet 94c clutch out there?

OJ (Tx)

Weed

• View Profile
Clutch bolt
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:08:34 PM »
If it is off a snowmobile the clutch offset will be different.  If it is different when shifting out the clutch will try to align with the driven, shoving the crank to one side.  Not to mention that your belt will now be in a bind and will wear faster.  

Some have had problems with Powerblock clutches in the past and engines with these clutches had premature lower end bearing failures.  I think this is due to CVT not providing a clutch with the proper crank offset.

Just my thought on the subject...  When we built the mini-baja car in college, we contacted the Comet rep about how accurate we needed to be.  It is absolutely imperative that the clutches be properly aligned to prevent engine/transmission damage.

Weed....

Offroad Junkie

• View Profile
Clutch bolt
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:45:27 PM »
Now I am a little worried about the clutch.
First question
---1 Would you know if it is the right clutch if I post a picture? I would think that all Comet 94c clutches are the same. I will try to get a hold of who I purchased it from or get a hold of Comet and give them a serial or part number to get the right info.
Second question
---2 If I do have the right clutch, do you think I could use the original bolt but use washers to make it fit? The bolt(102c) is longer than the 94c bolt.

Thanks
OJ