Author Topic: Starter problems  (Read 1586 times)

chopper

• View Profile
Starter problems
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »
Got a problem with my starter, it will throw out but seems to slip inside the pinion? I've fully rebuilt the engine, fitted a breather system to stop oil from getting into the starter ( thanks Randy at odyssey salvage!), and I stripped the starter and cleaned all the oil out of it with contact cleaner, but it still does it. It starts great with the pull start.. but to have the electric starter would be sooo nice. Any thoughts from the tech guru's? Thanks in advance.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Starter problems
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 08:58:42 PM »
Check your battery. Make sure it is in good shape and fully charged.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

chopper

• View Profile
Starter problems
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
The battery is brand new, and confirmed fully charged. I even tried the N70 battery out of my toyota landcruiser but same results. The starter throws out and spins when tested on the bench. It only does it when fitted and has a load on it. And if I sit there and press the starter over and over it will actually engage and turn the engine over about every 30th time... So it does actually have the balls to do the job.  I've checked the motor, brushes, commutator, everything is in good condition. I'm thinking its a problem in the pinion assembly. Any other ideas I can try? Does anyone know if the pinion assembly is common to any other honda machines?

1stwarrior95

• View Profile
Starter problems
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:58 PM »
I'm a complete newb to odyssey's but this sounds like a starter drive. (bendix), problem!

I just bought my 1st odyssey and I don't know what sort of starter drive they have so if I'm off base.... :lol: