Author Topic: Shifting forward /reverse  (Read 1597 times)

Lee1968UK

• View Profile
Shifting forward /reverse
« on: May 24, 2006, 05:43:01 PM »
Probably been asked this before but, how do you shift from neutral to forward or neutral to reverse on a pilot. both of my pilots are the same when i try to select forward or reverse it doesn't want to go in so give it a little rev with left hand whilst pushing on shift lever with right hand and it goes in but with a nasty sounding crunch! Is there any other way or is it to do with cvt drive or tickover.
Thanks Lee.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:27:25 PM »
Ah- it's obvious that you have '89 Pilots.

They (89's) ALL grind when selecting gears.  One of the upgrades Honda did for the '90 Pilots was some sort of syncronizer or a different cut or something (?) to help prevent it.

Blip the throttle and ease them into gear.  As long as you're very light with your force on the lever to get the engagement, it's not going to hurt anything.  

It does sound horrible, doesn't it.  :shock:
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Toyman

• View Profile
Grind
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:12:54 AM »
Both of my 89s used to have this problem. I simply changed the oil in the trans. to Rotella 15-40w oil. That seemed to allow it to turn very slowly so it would engage without having to rev. it up. Before I'd have to blip the throttle then wait for it to slow down some and slowly slam it in before it stopped spinning entirely. The gears just don't always line up at an idle if the driven isn't turning just a little.
Toyman

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 02:29:34 AM »
I blip the throttle so that the revs go up substantially.  This spins everything up (ie both clutches spin).  Then, as everything slows down, you hear (on my pilot at least) a sort of minor screech sound from the belt.  As soon as this noise stops I put it into gear - it normally goes straight in without any crunch at all at this point.  

It works for me so it may be worth a try for you.

(and ... yes ... it's an '89)