Author Topic: Works shock problem  (Read 1935 times)

Fed

• View Profile
Works shock problem
« on: May 23, 2006, 11:07:36 PM »
Rode the Oddy on Sunday and found that the lower shock body became separated from the shock top!!  The part that screws together.  (These shocks do NOT have ressies.)

I removed it from the machine and cleaned it all up.  My question is:  Will a simple recharge work?  Or might I have lost some parts?  I don't know what all is in there, but everything that's attached to something is still in tact.  I'm having camera difficulties right now, so I can't post pics until maybe tomorrow.

UPDATE: I know the pics aren't great, but hopefully someone can help me.  Big ride this next week, so I don't have time to be sending the shock off.  Need to know if it can be just recharged; I will have access to a nitrogen bottle and gauges.  May need a crash course in shock recharging.
Opportunity is missed by most, because it\'s dressed in overalls and looks like work.

nuke em

• View Profile
Works shock problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:16:51 AM »
He said tang! I think its kinda like "yellow tail"....LOL

You may be riding on stock shocks like me for this trip. Or, we can add some shock (Fork?) oil and use Drakmans nitrogen stuff to charge them. Your call, but definatly bring the stockers as spares.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Works shock problem
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 09:07:04 PM »
It would appear that everything is there.

Really nothing that can come off if the nut's still on the end of the shaft.

Mark where the preload adjusting rings are on the shock body and then take them and the springs off.

Fill the body with oil up to the beginning of the threads.

Make sure the shaft is in the fully compressed position and insert the piston into the shock body - slowly - and if it sticks going it, expect a shower of oil when it frees up and starts moving.  Fluid's gonna start coming out the top of the shock body

Screw the bearing cap (the part the shaft goes thru) into the top of the shock body, but leave it slightly loose - there may even be a bleed hole in the bearing cap - if there is, screw down to the point that this is just above the edge of the shock body.

Oil should now be everywhere....  You've displaced the stuff with the piston and shaft body...

Make sure that the shaft hasn't extended itself  - push it back in if need be.

Now screw the bearing cap all the way on.

Fill 'er up with nitrogen - probably 150 to 175 psi. (check the other one if you have the filling rig  - match the pressures in them) The shaft should start moving and eventually end up fully extended.

Put the springs back on.

Put the adjuster rings back on to the same place they were.

Put the shock back on.

Go ride!

Take spares....  :shock:
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'