Author Topic: 1st 420/350 test ride  (Read 1671 times)

nuke em

• View Profile
1st 420/350 test ride
« on: May 11, 2006, 02:54:24 PM »
I finally just did it, took the 420/350 for a quick spin. Definatly faster than my normal rider 350, which is damn fast too.

I have added the acorn nuts to the head hopefully to stop it from leaking there. Installed the fuel tank with the sensor. Hooked up the water temp sending unit and then decided to fill it with water to check for leaks. I fired it up to do another heat cycle and let the coolant system heat up to check for leaks.

While it was idling, I thought,"What the hell, just a quick spin, I am dying to do it". So, I took it around my 3/4 mile track gently to get it up to temp then mashed it. I jetted accross the front open area clearing its throat and then jetted back even faster. I am sure this thing would pull away from my other machine bottom and mids but I don't have the room here to test on top, but my guess would be yes.

After the second hard run I decided to hit the kill switch and coast back to the garage to do a plug check.  It looked a little rich, but thats how I run my machines. It may be slightly slower but longevity is more important(IMHO). It steers great but one of the back shocks is frozen solid. The drip on the pump went away. You were right on the money with that Weed, the O-rings softened back up I guess. My idle may be a little rich too. The idle is turned all the way up but still seems too low and wants to die. I'll mess with the fuel air mixure first and see if that effects it.

Fed is coming home tonight from Montana and we will be fixing everything Fri/Sat/Sun. I can get some action shots then. I am giddy like a lil school girl now! I can't imagine what the sled engine project will do later this summer. I might aught to invest in a neck collar soon, LOL.

greasemnky

• View Profile
1st 420/350 test ride
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 02:14:05 AM »
What scilencer are you running??

nuke em

• View Profile
1st 420/350 test ride
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 11:09:21 AM »
Actually, I am not sure, its not marked. It looks very similar to Feds EEE silencer in size, shape and with the turned tip outlet. The main difference is that one end is welded and the EEE can be opened on both ends.

I have several quad and dirt bike silencers laying around so I modded one the fit my normal rider 350. It was a long FMF from a 250R quad. Not sure I like the mounts I made, I guess some trial and error from some rides will tell me. I can always put the ear splitting DG silencer back on too.

Fed and I did some drag race testing Friday. OK, first we raced his HRD clutched, 20" Sand Stars, built 350 against my normal 350 rider that I just installed the heel clickers in the 102C clutch and still had the 24" skats on it. It was bogging off the line and never revved up to normal high RPMs. He hole shot me to where my front bumper was near his rear bumper and then we stayed like that all the way up to 50MPH or so, then we ran out of room. We made several runs all of which had very similar results. I looked at the marks I made on the clutch face with a marker. The belt never got to the top(fully closed).

I pulled the clutch, adjusted the arms (added weights)to give a higher stall and heavier tips to give higher RPMs. If he comes out today, we'll test it then. I also put the 22" spider tracs on and the silencer. I am thinking about putting the dial a jet back on too.

Fed wanted to race the 420, he said "I am feeling pretty cocky now". I said sure, why not. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  We went about 3 times or so, all with the same results. I would hole shot him by around a buggy length and then proceded to just walk away. I couldn't see him so that is what he said. I know that it pulls really hard all the way through. We will put some paddles on it next weekend and take it to some sand.