Author Topic: engine Conversion questions for Honda Pilot for newbie  (Read 2253 times)

artoux

• View Profile
engine Conversion questions for Honda Pilot for newbie
« on: January 16, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »
Hello there,
  My name is Chuck and I am new to the forum.  I have a tricked out Raptor quad which is modded pretty much to the bone.  I am inquiring about my next project.  Pilot or odyessy.  My friend had an odyessy and I zipped around on it in the dunes with the 350 in it.  It was stock and did nothing for me to be honest.  I have ridden the 350's in the dirt and it's another story.  My odyessy or Pilot that I am looking into will have to have lots of power as to I am considering it as a sand toy and don't want to spend the money on a mini long travel sand car.23k or so.  I would like the Pilot, it's small and with the right engine in it.  570 rotax, etc..(dennis).
  It could put out 125hp or therof.  Is this setup a good dune vehicle for me? Obviously I would have to get the long travel suspension, and the necessary hardware to handle the torque whis motor would put out.
 It would be primarily for the sand.  How good would this setup work for the sand?  Who has experience with this setup and application in the sand I am speaking of.  Dennis's machines are absolutely breathtaking.
  Dennis,
  What's the status on your 570 Rotax beast?
  Chuck-Raptorman
  Soon to be Odyessy :D

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 10:30:31 PM »
www.atvracing1.com

They can handle all of your long travel questions.

artoux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"
www.atvracing1.com

They can handle all of your long travel questions.

Yes,
  Pilot Hawk.  I know who they are.  But I want to know specifically if this setup works great for the dunes and if so, who has experience with it.
  If it's ATvracing1.com.  Then I will direct my attention to them.  But they do CR500 conversions kits .  What about the 570 Rotax ?

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:03:12 AM »
ATV Racing can do anything you want. The LT kit on the pilot is the way to go for any serious jumping or riding in whoops. The can also add about any sled motor you want to the chassis. It wont be cheap, but it will be fast. You can try the conversions yourself, but unless you are an experienced fabricator you will run into more headaches than you can deal with. If I'm not mistaken Dennis' car was one that ATVR did for a guy, but he either ran out of funds, or just decided that it wasn't for him, and he ended up selling the pilot to Dennis with issues still to be resolved.

No matter what you do you would probably be better off looking for a used long travel pilot versus the cost of a pilot plus the long travel kit installed. I have seen long travel pilot go for as little as 7500 and as much as 16000. All depending on the condition, other upgrades, and current owner's knowledge of the prices they are bringing.

A full on modified pilot from ATVRacing is gonna run you close to 15K not including the cost of the stock pilot. From what I understand they now make a sweet single seat car that will shame a pilot, and I'm pretty sure the price tag on it is around 15-20K depending on options.

Another option is a drakart. They seem to be selling well, but supply of parts and dependability seem to be major issues with them. They start out at about 18K and go up from there, but used ones can be found for 10-15K. The drakart website is www.drakart.com

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:10:12 AM »
Here is something cheap if thats what you're looking for.
link

stoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 01:33:14 AM »
this will do the job in the dunes?

link

The reserve was 7.5k
email him.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 10:53:31 AM »
I am working on installing an Arctic Cat 600EFI into my pilot, I think they're supposed to be around the 100hp mark, and I've heard that (Moskito??) that over 100hp the clutch pack in the pilot tranny starts biting the biscuit.

I have 2+s arms up front, and stock in the rear, with custom ELKA's all around. I'm working also on a long travel setup for the rear that maintains stock rear width. I may modify the front, bo with a bump steer setup and increase the fron travel some more.

I won't get as much travel as the ATVR kit, but I'm hoping to get close, and less in cost, and modifications needed.

We'll see if/when it gets done how it turns out  :P