Author Topic: Which GPS?  (Read 1393 times)

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Which GPS?
« on: January 16, 2006, 01:29:42 AM »
I'm in the market for a GPS reciever. Any suggestions? I am interested in what you have, how easy it is to use, and how well it interfaces with a laptop or PC for generating maps and map overlays. Thanks

ludedude

• View Profile
Which GPS?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:51:27 AM »
I have a Magellan Meridan Color, I found the color really eases the distinction of different roads, rivers, etc on the maps.

We used it connected to Ted's laptop for the trip to CC last year, I really like that functionality, as the GPS can handle only so much map in memory, you have to download each area as you drive out of range of what's in memory. With the laptop it'll hold all US on it  :wink: With the GPS connected to the Laptop your position shows up as a cursor on the map onthe laptop, the directions (text) and indicators are all larger and easier to read at a glance on the laptop.

I think the GPS will handle a larger memory card than what I have in it. Ease of use, it's easier and takes less room to use the GPS only, and you can windshield mount it so it's easier to view. If you can fit your whole map on the GPS, then I'd go with GPs only, long trip...unless you have multiple cards and load the different maps on, hook to a laptop.

I use different software for creating maps of trail riding. I have topo maps of Eastern Canada on CD that merges with the software and you can import your GPS tracks into it and print off your trail maps. Magellan jad yet to have any decent topo CD maps for Canada, I think they have them for US, so you can probably get away with staying with the MapSource software from Magellan for both street and trail mapping.

It's waterproof and floats too  :)

Hope that helps some....

ludedude

• View Profile
Which GPS?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 11:53:43 AM »
get a few (min 5) who want the same one and you can most likely get a bulk buy from a wholesale distributor, that's how I got mine, bought 8, kept one, sold the rest on Ebay  :P

HONDAJEFF

• View Profile
Which GPS?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 06:19:32 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
It's waterproof and floats too  :)

now theres only one way to figure that out... is there a funny story that goes along with that???
1985 HONDA ODYSSEY FL 350R
1985 HONDA ODYSSEY FL 350R (wifes)
2005 YAMAHA BLASTER YFS 200

betel

• View Profile
Which GPS?
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 12:03:04 AM »
The Meridian Color can load up to a 64mb region .  You can install a card with more memory and create multiple regions to select from.  Seems like they could make the software automaticaly upload a new region as you moved out of one region and into the next.   Currently you have to do this manually.  I've never interfaced it with a laptop for navigation.  I would think that would make for a nice navigation tool.  Unlimited map size, a large display plus increased functionality and faster map redraws.