Author Topic: upgrade question>?  (Read 2729 times)

cc56259

• View Profile
upgrade question>?
« on: January 09, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »
Hey guys, new to posting here but have used this forum for information quite a fiew times before, i blew second gear in my CBR900RR and came across a super deal to replace it, after instaling the new motor i fixed the old one for les than 100.00, prob is that i now have an extra motor, but my solution is i have a motorless fl-250 that i just finished restoring. the install will be fun and i will post pictures along the way, but what  i am curious about is the general consensus about the reduction drives capabilities, the 900 motor puts out a litte more than 130whp. and i figure the 250 to have been in the 50 or less range, think it can take it, i am chain driving the setup which curently will go to the reduction unit, if it wont hold it no huge prob i will just make a suspended rear using a 4 wheeler. i am adding a clutch and shifter of course and will be doing a fiew other things, just let me know what you think.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
upgrade question>?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:42:45 PM »
About the most HP you can expect that gearbox to hold up to is 40-50

cc56259

• View Profile
upgrade question>?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 12:09:58 AM »
pretty much what i had figured as well, the only thing is that having the tranny on the bike motor should eliminate some of the strain on the box. what sugestions on replacements, i was thinking maybee 400EX due to their availability.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
upgrade question>?
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 12:12:35 AM »
400ex should be a good candidate. It makes around 30 HP or so. Plus it has a electric start. Keep us posted on your progress.

cc56259

• View Profile
upgrade question>?
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 01:21:00 AM »
think you might have misunderstood me, the engine is staying, i am looking for a rear end that can handle it, even if i have to use a blaster axle assembly. Curious on what has worked for others using such a powerful engiine. thanks again for the help so far.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
upgrade question>?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 02:09:18 AM »
OK since thats the route you intend to go.....

You need a sturdy roll cage. The laddr frame of the 250 and the wimpy roll cage won't handle near the amount of power you are talking about using. I would stop by Moskito's site and do some reading. http://www.yellowdogracing.com.

You might also want to shifters single seat car with a 954RR in it. You should be able to find plenty to read about at this link.

http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/8525687400459A41/Search?SearchView&Query=beast&Start=1&Count=-1&SearchOrder=3&SearchMax=100000&SearchWV=TRUE