Author Topic: Inbound CV Replacement  (Read 2638 times)

throttle

• View Profile
Inbound CV Replacement
« on: July 11, 2005, 08:53:32 PM »
I posted this on Kiowa's board, but wanted to make sure Lude, PH, Moskito and others saw this.........need some help.

Well, I guess that everyone sooner or later gets the opportunity to remove the rear axles..........I've heard the horror stories, and now I get to experience this first hand.

I have pulled the axle apart I realize that the right inbound CV Joint is SHOT. So, where is the best place to get a CV? Should I get a new one or try a good use one? Thanks!

ludedude

• View Profile
Inbound CV Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 09:07:40 PM »
I can inboard CV's from a new place here in Canada. Do you have a spare for now? I have a used I can bring to tie you over...I'll see if I can get an inboard in time to bring down.

PilotHawK

• View Profile
Inbound CV Replacement
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:02:44 PM »
Define "shot" Do you have any pics?

throttle

• View Profile
SHOT CV = here is a better explanation
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:41:39 PM »
By the way, this is a LT Pilot......don't know if that makes a difference for the CVs....

I first noticed a problem on the last day of our ride at DP, sounded like scraping and grinding when the wheels rotated.  Last night I finally got around to checking it out. I jacked up the Pilot and got the wheels off the ground.  I spun the wheels and it made grinding sounds and a clunk.  I thought it may be the brake rotor, but removed the caliper and it still made the noise.  I started on the right side and removed the control arms, shock, etc.  I removed the inbound CV boot and pulled the axle straight out of the inbound joint - there was no stop ring that I could find.  Now with that right side axle removed I can turn the left rear wheel and no scraping sounds.........turns freely.  I removed the inner race from the axle and cleaned it out disolving all grease and noticed a few very small metal fragments.  Several of the balls just fell out, I noticed many marks and groves worn next to the holes where the bearings go..... tried to reassemble and check, but when the balls are popped back into the race, the inner bearing will not move up/down/side/side like it should -- only a few degrees almost like it is jammed...........best I can explain.  Seems like the balls just don't fit back like they should - some go in tight, some go in easy, some go in farther than the others.

My digital camera is not functioning.

I don't have a replacement, unless I rob my stock Pilot............I would like to get one before the trip................funny how I ran into a last minute problem with a seal before the DP trip........and now another fun opportunity for last minute excitement!  Thanks!

ludedude

• View Profile
Inbound CV Replacement
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 11:36:53 PM »
Send me your shipping address. I'll see if they'll ship a inner CV kit down to you. $90+shipping. LT's are the same as stock as far as CV's go, so no problem there. They have the inners in stock, so hopefully they'll drop shop you one.

Let me know if you want me to go ahead and see if they'll go for that.

throttle

• View Profile
Inner CV
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 08:30:46 AM »
Hey Lude!  Do they make the inner joint, stop ring, and the actual joint (cage, race, balls) everything just like the Honda Assembly?  Looks like the cage is worn pretty bad and the balls just don't fit too well anymore in some of the slots.

I'm afraid that the inner joint (stub) may be worn, too.  Just seems like if the cage is worn that the inner joint would be worn too.

I'm very interested in what you got, probably just need the whole assembly.  I need to remove the stub and inspect it tonight.

Thanks for all the help.....  I'll have pics tomorrow!

ludedude

• View Profile
Inbound CV Replacement
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 01:42:33 PM »
GOing to give them a call now. They're making an replacement axle using my outer, sine they don't have time to build one before I leave. I'll see if they can ship me a couple inner kits with the axle.

ludedude

• View Profile
Inbound CV Replacement
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 02:32:01 PM »
OK, I've got them to send me 4 inners to take with me to TN.

We had our wires crossed...they thought I was talking internals, when I want the whole inner CV...so I can't do them for $90 as I posted.

A complete inner CV kit will be $150.00 USD

I can get outer internals to rebuild an outer CV for $90.00 USD. My outers were fine, it's the inners that I want new complete CV's for as the inners have the splines that wear. The outers they said are easy to rebuild. Rotate the internal cage, pop two balls out, rotate again take 2 more out, and so on until they're all out, pull the cage, and install your new internals.

That's the bet I can do....Pull your axle, bolt up your hub/wheel, bring it to CC and install the new CV inner there and go.

throttle

• View Profile
The Whole CV?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 04:31:27 PM »
So you have a complete inner CV jont that includes the axle stub/housing (called the inner joint in the parts book/manual), the bearing cage, bearing race, and bearings, and 2 stop rings?

Is this company remaking the Pilot parts or did Honda use a CV joint that matched something else including the slines? Surely they are not making these special just for us Pilot guys...................right?

Does the inner joint part (# 42220-HE0-013) on Service Honda website for $221 include the inside parts (bearing cage, race, bearings, stop rings, too).