Author Topic: FMF Silencer  (Read 1973 times)

Ozpilot

• View Profile
FMF Silencer
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:43:12 AM »
Hey Lude, I noticed you are getting an FMF soon and wanted to know if you have the exact part number and a place that will supply (at a reasonable price) by order over the internet (hopefully that will send it by USPS)?  I have to get one and started to look at where to buy it a while back but ran out of time.

ludedude

• View Profile
FMF Silencer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 05:31:12 AM »
If you're not in too much of a hurry, hold on to your hat mate, and I'll fix ya' up ;)

ludedude

• View Profile
FMF Silencer
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 01:54:48 AM »
I got no where with this one Oz  :(  Sorry mate.... And I'm leaving mine as is for now too, so I won't be doing anything with this for awhile. Sorry.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
FMF Silencer
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2005, 02:00:22 AM »
No problemo - I'll order one soon from somewhere.  As far as I know, everybody gets the Turbine core II Q for a 2000 CR500 - is that right?  And it seems Rocky Mountain is about the best price (around US$140)?

If you know of a better source let me know.  If Rocky Mountain can send by USPS I'll probably get one there.

Thanks for trying.

ludedude

• View Profile
FMF Silencer
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 02:08:09 AM »
Quote from: "Ozpilot"
No problemo - I'll order one soon from somewhere.  As far as I know, everybody gets the Turbine core II Q for a 2000 CR500 - is that right?  And it seems Rocky Mountain is about the best price (around US$140)?

If you know of a better source let me know.  If Rocky Mountain can send by USPS I'll probably get one there.

Thanks for trying.

Yup I believe that's what they use.  :wink:

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
FMF Silencer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 10:43:09 PM »
Quote from: "Ozpilot"

Thanks for trying.

I can't brag enough about the FMF Turbine Core II Q Pipe (well, except for the silly long name.)  Now I'm wanting one for my nasty CRF50 (124cc monster that's bitten me twice now and is drastically louder than my 450) and I've put them on my last three 4 stroke motocross bikes too.  I like quiet!  (now if I could make the muffler on the '05 CRF450X work we'd be styling!  88db w/o performance loss!  Stealth at it's finest...)

It's a sweet unit and so far I have three of them that have survived life on the Dez. (which is a dead Dez again for the moment.  ARGH!)

Stoneman and I put one on his Pilot this past Fall and the results were just what everyone's after.  Quiet, sleak looking and it has a spark arrestor to boot.

Oz - yes, use the CR500 pipe - anything from 1986 up will work.  Honda's mods from '86 to '03 were BNG - Bold New Graphics.

You'll have to mod the inlet - we just cut the elbow off the ATVR silencer (yea, right - silencer...) and replaced the FMF's inlet with it.  It was pretty easy.

Somewhere Stone has pix of the mod.

After you get the muffler installed, move on to the next step:

Go to a local auto parts place and get some header pipe wrap.  Get the widest stuff you can (3"?) by 50'  (I'm gonna let you convert to metric).

Start at the expansion chamber's inlet.  Three wraps about 3" up from the inlet flange, work down to the flange, overlapping 1/2 the width of the material, then start working your way back up the pipe and keep the 1/2 overlap going.

When you get to the bends, put a twist in the tape - fold it over on itself and it will form a little triangle and make the bend.  You'll see what I mean once you get started.  It takes a couple tries to get it.

I sat on a stool and held the expansion chambers of the Dez between my legs when I did them - made it easier to pull the tape nice and tight - wear jeans that stuff's ITCHY!

If your pipes are Jet Coated, HPC coated or ceramic coated, get the tape wet before you start.  It will let it stretch even more.  Smells pretty nasty for the first 10 minutes or so, though once you get the pipe hot.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/deztaz/quiet.htm shows some of the stuff

Wow, now that I look at the pix, those mufflers used to look nice and new - wish they still did...  Oh well!

Sheesh, I'm babbling.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'