Author Topic: first ride of the season Moreland's MX  (Read 3820 times)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
first ride of the season Moreland's MX
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:25:25 AM »
  I couldn't pass up the good weather Saturday. I hitched up my wagon and took the Pilot to
Moreland's Motocross near Stanton, MI. The complex has been split into two separate facilities.
I was at the supercross track side. I did take a spin on the main track, but most of my time was
spent on a little section to the north of it. It's not racable, as it uses one straight for both
directions, but it was just fine for working on conditioning and testing.

Man, was it good to get back in the seat! No time on the ice this winter made for a LONG break.
In 10 laps I was beat. The treadmill helped, but wasn't a substitute for driving. A quick checkover
in  the pits, a talk with Grant, and back out. The conditons are very good, 3 muddy spots, but only
one I had to drive through, and NO dust. Traction was great, enough so that I was huffing in 10
laps again.

'Nut has been wondering how we'd do on the supercross track, so "Let give it a try" popped into
my head. There were a few bikes in the pits, so I went up to talk to Grant to OK it, and found Mark,
instead. He said as long as I didn't run backwards anywhere, go for it. A slow lap to check the track,
then I pick it up a bit, maybe 6 or 7/10ths. It was a blast railing the 6 foot high berms! The 3 jumps
on the long straight were another story. One by one, I'd nose in on landing. There were little kickers
on the lip of each one, that caused me to come down more on the front bumper than the front wheels. This
ain't for me! Mark seemed willing to mod things, but for as few buggies are there are to race, plus
the chance of messing up the track for bikes and quads, it didn't seem worth it. I got the feeling if
he had more space, he would love to put in a UTV, buggy track. Back to the section I started on, I turn
a good 20 laps, and call it a day.

Moreland's charges $20 for a one year membership, then $20 a day for practice.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: first ride of the season Moreland's MX
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »
The little kickers seem to be common of tracks set up for bikes.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking it's due to wheel spin as the bikes launch.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
I guess that makes more sense, a result of the bikes as opposed to a desired thing for them. If that is the case, grooming the kickers off should not be a detriment to them.

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:18 AM »
We need to get you and Jeff there to run some laps and see if it's a track worth pursuing.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:45:10 PM »
Are you saying you want me to try the jumps first ;)

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:36:29 PM »
Well, I already tried them at 6/10ths, but that wasn't race pace, so... yes.  ::)

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:43:20 AM »
He wants to see if we kill ourselves first lol I do agree though you have a no fear attitude about jumping sometimes it takes a green flag to get me to go full pace :)
Thank you
"The Nut"

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
That place is near Clackster's cabin. So it should be fairly easy to get him there. Maybe we could set up a weekend as a practice, then head to Bull Gap for some trail riding after. Maybe could get Dirtburner, his buddy Randy and Cadman to go as well. Their not into racing, but would probably like going there on a practice day. More seat time and no worries about not being competitive.