Author Topic: Header Tape....keep it from slipping??  (Read 4762 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Header Tape....keep it from slipping??
« on: March 09, 2005, 08:00:51 PM »
Hey Moskito,

I know you installed header tape on the DEZTAZ exhaust.

how do you keep it from coming loose/slipping. Be nice for this if the pipe wasn't cermaic coated! I wrapped it as tight as I could.,,,but after only a short run period..standing still...there was an exposed piece of pipe showing...touched it and it's all loose. Problem arises from the tight bend from the cylinder exhaust. That's the end I started at.

I want this to work, cause it makes a BIG difference in sould level ;) But I need to have it stay on, and tight first  :lol:

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 10:41:15 AM »
here is what I found to work on the Blazer when I installed it.  I first wet the wrap and then let it semi dry out (to where it was still damp but not wet).  I then tightly wrapped the pipe using a 40% overlap.  I let the wrap dry out for a couple of days ( in a warm area) and then applied the wrap spray coating to seal the material from the elements.   I also installed the stainless steel clamps (ties) at critical locations that I thought might slip.
So far I haven't had any issues with it.
Scott

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:43:58 AM »
Wrap spray coating?....uh oh...I'm missing something!

Thanks for the tips DH ;)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 10:45:59 AM »
I guess I got lucky?  Three pipes on the Dez and not one's come loose (yet) - they're all HPC ceramic coated too.

I held the chambers between my legs so I could keep both hands free (wear pants and if you have a towel, use that too - itchy stuff) - started with a couple overlapping wraps about 2" or so from the end of the pipe - then overlapped the tape about 1/2 the width of the tape towards the flange.

Once I got up against the flange I made a single overlapping pass, then started working back towards the stinger.  Keep pulling the tape as taunt as possible.  All in all, it's probably three layers thick up near the flange.

Did you get the stainless steel "zip-ties" (they look like zip ties, but no notches) with your tape? - mine came with four per roll.

Throw a hose clamp, or safety wire - something steel that can deal with the heat around the tape as close to the ex flange as you can get it.  I have the stuff strapped on both ends.

Oh - when going around bends and such - at the point of greatest curve, flip the tape over and make the side that was against the pipe the outside - fold, if you will.  Do it on both sides of the bend.  You'll see how it allows the tape to stay up tight against the pipe, yet allows you to change the direction of the wrap.

Check out this picture: http://www.yellowdogracing.com/deztaz/quietness/wrapped2.jpg
you can see what I mean by the flip. - shows as a triangular piece.

Since you have a ceramic coated pipe, you may want to get the tape wet before you install it - will allow it to stretch a bit more and give you a better/tighter fit.

It will smoke a bunch as it dries, but I've not seen any  problems with corrosion yet on my pipes (they've been wet from puddles/washing and such).

The stuff smells funny for the first hour or so too.  Kinda like new muffler packing but more intense.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 10:52:02 AM »
Great, thanks guys...need to wet it obvisously ;)

Nope mine didn't come with any clamps/ties, I just used wire.

Time to grab a bite to eat and go play in the garage...woo hoo...5 days off...love it!

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 01:44:32 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
Great, thanks guys...need to wet it obvisously ;)

Nope mine didn't come with any clamps/ties, I just used wire.

Time to grab a bite to eat and go play in the garage...woo hoo...5 days off...love it!

As always, take pics por favor!!! Enjoy the time off (lucky turkey)!!!  :lol:
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 08:18:20 AM »
Sorry bro...it was a messy job, so I didn't snap any photo's during the wrapping session. I can snap some now, after the fact though. I saoked the tape in warm water and left the length in the sink and worled out of there. It washed out a dirty black wash that got over everything as I wrapped and twisted the pipe around  :roll:

I think it looks/feels better than before. And I put a few clamps here and there, so I hope that holds up ;)

Next is the Q silencer  8)  Don't have it yet....but that's to come.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 08:32:34 AM »
I think it looks/feels better than before. And I put a few clamps here and there, so I hope that holds up ;)

Next is the Q silencer  8)  Don't have it yet....but that's to come.

What's the matter?

Can't hear after a few min in your Pilot???  (:

The wrap alone probably gets rid of 50% of the ringy (ringy? - is that a word?) sounds and the Q-pipe will muffle (har, har har) the bark out of the end of the pipe quite drastically.

You'll be happy with the results.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

dhjunkie

• View Profile
spray coating
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 11:21:04 AM »
Wrap spray coating?....uh oh...I'm missing something!

Thanks for the tips DH ;)

summitracing.com or jegs.com   carries the stuff.  it is basically a special hi-temp paint designed to seal and protect the wrap from the outside elements.
DEI black hi temp silicone coating  6.95  DEI-010301
DEI Aluminum hi temp silicone coating 6.95  DEI-010302
DEI locking ties
 8" locking ties (8 per pack) 11.95  DEI-010201
 14" locking ties (4 per pack) 7.95  DEI-010202
These are out of the summit catalog.  

I prefer the thermo-tec brand clamp system, it comes in a roll and has individual clamps.
Jegs carries this.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1354&prmenbr=361

the coating
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1353&prmenbr=361

the wrap
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1351&prmenbr=361

hope this helps a bit

Corey Robar

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 09:26:45 PM »
May be a different application but the same idea, I used a heat wrap tape on my stock car (dirt track) exhaust had to wet that before applying and put a coating on after it dried.
In my stock car we dropped jet sizes in the carb because by keeping the heat in the exhaust it created more vacum, just like a chimmney in a house, the hotter it gets the more draft it produces. One of "Smokey Unicks" small block chevy tips !!

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
header tape
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 09:34:57 PM »
Ya dude but the Titanic sank!!!!!  (On its first voyage) And almost everyone perished.  Unless that is your point.  Nevermind if it is.

Corey Robar

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 09:38:39 PM »
Never said I was a professional :lol:  :lol:

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 10:09:57 PM »
Yeah I re-did it with it wet and added some pipe clamps.....it seems a lot tighter now ;)

CW,

Corey's saying that often amatuer's create a better end product than professional's ;)

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 10:22:11 PM »
Everyone point and laugh at the dumbass(ME).  I figured it out after the fact.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 10:45:35 PM »
ahhhh...we'll laught with ya buddy, not at ya!