Author Topic: New Members - let us know who you are  (Read 32447 times)

turbotexas

• View Profile
New Members - let us know who you are
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 02:51:04 AM »
Hey every one New guy here. I just bought an Ody and hoping to learn some tips so i don't have to rebuild the motor every week...
Six months ago I bought one of those cheap  Chinese buggies, (DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER) and might have 1 hour of ride time to to every 10 of fix time.
The 4  stroke motor gave me little to no problems, mainly had to re weld cheap metal and all kinds of other issues.

I opted for a smaller oddy instead of the full size VW buggies because of my job. I haul heavy equipment from Texas to Cali and have room to take the ride with me on occasion. The size doesn't get in the way.
I have learned the basics of jetting, I am a big fan of the Dial-a-jet. I have been reading some of the post here and am wondering with a Mikuni Round Slide (VM) carb, will i have that many problems???
on my little 250cc four stroke it was pretty easy, but it looks like some of ya'll are changing jets every time you pass gas??? The reason I got the dial-a-jet was to adjust for climate and elevation between hot and humid South Texas, and High and dry desert
questions...
What size MIKUNI VM should I use on the 350???
Air box mods or just rip it out and install a UNI on the carb???
Fuel???
Previous owner was using airplane fuel. kinda hard to get the truck into the airport...LOL does VP fuels make a good 2 stroke fuel that helps keep the temps down???

Thanks David
Need the digitron egt, want the rpm and water gauge version
I want to add the radiator and cooling head.
Eventually will add the A-Arm 's and shocks.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 09:31:43 AM »
Welcome!

Which Chinese buggy did you buy? Got pictures  :wink:

I have run a dial-a-jet on a pilot, will be getting that comob going again soon, and I loved it. I'll let someone else comment on your carb selection question :)

When you're ready for the Digatron, give me a holler...I'll get you a price, the store is closed right now (wanted to slow things down for the summer) but I'll still order things for members of this forum.

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 10:26:48 AM »
Welcome to the board turbotexas!

I have molested 350s about everyway possible for better than 10 years and probably help with most of your questions. I need to know what mods have been done to it already and what you want it to do.

The stock carb for a 350 is a 32MM Kienin. Its works fine with the stock porting and pipe. I would keep the carb size under 35MM until you get a port job, high stall clutch and bigger pipe or you will lose too much torque(low RPM excelleration).

Water cooling is almost a must if you ride in very hot weather(Texas) or hop it up and make alot of HP. I run EGTs and coolant temp guages on my machines so I know whats going on.

The 350 needs the airbox mod(dual tubes) even in stock form because the single factory snorkle is too air flow restrictive. I like them with a UNI filter in the box. I can post some pictures of that too if you want to see. It is so dry here in Wyoming most of the time, I run a K&N desert pod filter with the prechargers.

Stay away from the aircraft fuels, my buddy bought one of his 350s from a guy who used it. It melted a hole in the center of the piston(very messy in there). Almost everyone runs 32:1 with a quality synthetic oil(no Wally world bargin oils). The tank/manual says 20:1 but that was in 1985 and oil was crude stuff.

Do you have a manual yet? I do like the Dial-A-Jets too.

Hope that helps some, keep posting questions and pictures too.

Gary

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 11:29:18 PM »
I started out with a challenger, bought from a LOUSY outfit in CA called XXX-motorsports.
The little 250cc ran great, the kart rode like crap, and the thing was always breaking...
http://www.buggynews.com/viewtopic.php?t=2696&start=0

I never really had a motorcycle as a kid so this was a good way for me to learn about them.  I opted for the roll cage, as iI ain't as young as I used to be!!! I  fell off my kids little XR80 and sprained my ankle in Feb, and I am still limping. Being self employed, not a good thing...

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 11:49:03 PM »
Nuke'em you will be my best friend for the next few weeks... I must warn you I have Blonde Hair so it might take a minute for something to sink in!!!

Is the airbox neccesary? Will the two stroke carb work as well with just a UNI on it? or is there a hidden reason it is snorked up so high? I have been led to believe that  the airbox/hose cracking is the cause of alot of engine failure? I can see how this would effect  the air intake. Thunder who makes the Dial a jet also makes a filtered TPI airbox adjustable intake, any one using this? I know only the basics of jetting, and know 2 stroke are real fussy. I am praying the dial a jet makes this easy on me. I travel around the country, so I will find out soon enough. The previous owner has told me the motor was rebuilt 2 years ago by someone who races??? I  don't like the idea of the airplane fuel either, to hard to get. Any one use VP fuels? They are refined near my home town, and are readily available around the country. Lude dude I will PM you about the digitron's

hoodlum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello Turbo!!
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 02:39:07 AM »
Hey Turbotexas!!!  
Don't I know you from somewhere?LOL (Buggy news)
Glad to hear you got an oddy!!! You will never go back to the China Karts after taking this step...
I will give you a couple of my cents worth on the air box...
I don't have an oddy, but do have a pilot...I ran several different test with air box mods about a year ago, and here are my results...
The previous owner had the machine jetted so rich that it wouldn't run with the lid on the box, but take it off and it would run decent, but still rich...I dropped my main two sizes, lowered the needle a notch, and it ran better, but still a tad rich, but just couldn't make myself ride around without an air box lid...
I added an extra hose and a homemade air scoop, which is more restrictive than an open lid, and the pilot came to life even more...Better throttle response and overall performance than with the lid off....
I went even farther and made an adjustable air valve like you referred too just to play with air flow, and see what was affected by increaseing or reduceing the amount of air the engine could pull in...
Believe it or not, I found the engine performed at it's best when I reached a point where there was just a bit of restriction in the air box...
My point being pointed toward your question about removing the box....
I have seen several different set ups that run a filter off the carb,and I am sure that it does help in the top end, but IMO, I think it hurts the performance when getting to wide open.....
I believe there is a fine line when dealing with the pressures in the air box, and finding that will give far better performance than just trying to get as much as you can with a filter on the end of the carb...
Kinda like those China Karts...You know how many have tried that mikuni carb application, and most do a filter mod at the same time, by-passing the box...I have yet to hear of anyone that has done that mod and been happy with the performance...They chase the jetting and never seem to catch it...No one that I am aware of tried the new carb with their stock box, and maybe just opening up some small holes and noting the results...IMO, the filter without the box is their main problem...
Sorry for being so long winded...Oh yea, one more thing about the air valve...I can adjust jetting by about two sizes in the entire range by opening and closeing it...They do work....I think I have some pics of it on this sight somewhere...I will look...
Hoodlum

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2006, 11:41:18 AM »
Hoodlums right on the money with the airbox. I would leave the box for now and add 2 snorkle tubes. I probably have one in the garage I could sell you cheap, or just tell you how to mod yours. I have never seen the Thunder Prducts boxs, have a link? I do know that the size and shape of the box is critical and adding or removing a single inch changes performance. I plan to experiment with an adjustable box very soon, but I have too many pokers in the fire right now.

There is something called a pulsewave in a two stroke, kind of like rezonation. It uses your entire system(airbox, filters,carb,reeds, porting, and exhaust). When everything is in perfect sync or harmoney, the system will make incredable smooth power. When not in sync, you only get partial power, weak in certain areas of the RPM band ,great in others. You swap components, and it does the same thing. Sometimes for the good, sometimes not. I really do not have a scientific answer but that is the way my puny brain understands it! LOL :wink:

When you have questions, just fire away. Besides, I like blonds! LOL

Gary

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2006, 04:07:57 PM »
HeyHoodlum!!!Shhhh don'tt tell nobody I am over here... Tthey will get there feelings hurt...lol
OK I am convinced that I will leave the airbox alone,BUT... instead of a new snorkle I might try the http://thunderproducts.com/tpi_valve.htm airbox adjustment... your  opinions will be the dciding factor. The owner say's it runs great, beats a friends with a newly rebuilt motor. I am picking upin South Carolina and will probably have tto  rejet in Texas.

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »
IT'S LOADED!!!!!

nuke em

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
Pretty too, should be able to find you in a crowd! When are you due to get it?

turbotexas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2006, 08:31:48 PM »
I meant loaded on the truck...

nevadanotch

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2008, 11:47:14 AM »
Great to see that Odysseys are still going strong.  I just purchased an 85 FL350R and can't wait to pick it up this Saturday.  Until I purchased the FL350R I didn't know there was so much about them on the internet!
Back in the early 80's I used to have a 77 FL250 that I purchased from a guy who used to race it on flat tracks.  With the new purchase I am looking forward to 4 wheel suspension!

Anyway greeting from Carson City Nevada!
High Speed Soil Sampler!

tim

• View Profile
new 350 owner
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2009, 05:35:28 PM »
just bought 350 oddy  blew piston running in 5 degree weather without rejetting.Its in good cond and ran strong,did top end rebuild with 150 jets air box eliminator kit and 24:to 1 gas mix. i broke fuel check valve pulling fuel line,so i put a open t in place of check valve. i broke in motor by driving 15 mins never more than 3/4 throttle,let it cool down 1 hour then drove again after 15 mins it died out ,i think i have fuel problems ,im just glad to finally have 1 great talking with all of u  Thanks Tim

guest2001619

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
my name is jason with an 85 fl350.
almost completly tore down, going to repaint black with all white plastic changing to yellow.

port huron, mi :lol:

Grippy

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 02:20:28 AM »
Hey, guys. Curtis in Southern California. Always wanted an Odyssey; this weekend I may finally realize my childhood dream. So I have come here so you can talk me out of buying a pair of FL250s. I'll post a new thread for it. :)