Author Topic: Finally! #1 in Mexico (Unofficial results until Tuesday)  (Read 3467 times)

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Finally! #1 in Mexico (Unofficial results until Tuesday)
« on: December 05, 2004, 06:12:39 PM »
I won't know for sure, but the scoring crew at the race in Mexico this weekend said that I took the win in Class 12 - Sportsman Unlimited. :D

The conditions were horrible - cold & drizzle/rain.  Never gone so far, so fast with such limited vision.  Visor was either covered in mud, rain or fogged up about 90% of the time.  When it wasn't raining, I'd try to run w/the visor open but the wind kept making my eyes tear up. :(

We saw everything imaginable (except sun) - wind, rain, fog, dust, mud puddles, some of the slickest snot sand I've ever driven on. :shock:

MILES of whoops.  From little stutter whoops that the Dez just ignores to 6' deep monsters that required just driving up and down and up and down and up and Oh Please Make Them Stop!!!  Cool wash section full of rocks, high speed fire roads, tight twisty stuff thru the scrub brush - it's a really cool course.

We lost a belt about 8 - 10 miles into the race - right after making our third pass for position and the belt locked up the engine.  Long term high speed runs seem to be the Dez's Achilles' heel.  If I let the belt ride in a particular position on the clutch long enough it seems to overheat and then let go.  Jay replaced it and we ran the rest of the race on one belt.

I kept making sure that I varied the throttle on the long speed runs so that the belt would keep moving in the clutches and not overheat things.   I was able to cruise along with two other buggies at about 75 mph while feathering the throttle, so this new technique  appears to work pretty well.  Learn something new each race.

When the belt got tossed I thought we were screwed at first - I thought the engine had tossed a cylinder, but Jay gave the pull starter a yank and the good ol' Arctic Cat fired right up.  Apparently the belt wadded up between the clutch and engine cases, so the starter didn't have enough to turn it over.  (belt may have been stuck in the starter bendix for all I know)

The engine never gave a single hint of problems or concerns for the entire 112 miles.  We did loose a CV boot sometime during the race, but 930 CVs in a 200 hp car that weighs 1300 lbs will probably make a full Baja 1000 race.  Tough things...

Off my GPS, here are the stats:  (we'll see how they compare to Whiplash's)
Course Length: 112.4 miles
2:39:40 moving time
42.5 mph average moving speed
80.1 top speed - (never have tried to see just how fast the Dez will go, but we still figure right around 95 - the belt issue has me a tad spooked and I didn't want to have to change a second one)
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

dhjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 07:21:20 PM »
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  For Skito!    sounds like your still sportin wood  :)

tsutton44

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 08:29:45 PM »
cool,nice job  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  the dez sounds like it is running strong.Figure out the belt issue and you'll have it made.

stoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 11:53:17 PM »
wicked
now wheres the pix & video?

How did the q2 silencers work?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 02:34:25 AM »
WICKED BUDDY! Way to go! Alright, right on, awesome Richard. Glad you and Jay finally had the race results you deserve.

Ozpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 04:30:04 AM »
Brilliant!!!

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 10:02:39 AM »
Quote from: "stoneman"
wicked

No pix or video from our end.  Hopefully I'll get some pix from Kim Cook (photographer that follows the races).   In car camera wouldn't have shown squat other than a very dirty & wet lens.

The Q silencers are the way to go!

We can actually hear things now and don't suffer from a bad case of "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" for the next three days...   http://www.yellowdogracing.com/deztaz/quiet.htm
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »
And for that you missed a Durhamtown ride?!?
Congratulations.
I drove the Frankenskeeter a little on the trails.  Handles the trails really well and turns good.  I liked the power - seemed strong but very smooth - kinda like a tractor (if you know what I mean).
Bucked seems to have this premanent smile.
Oh by the way Bucked rolled in on the motocross track.  I think we should rename it the Bucking Bronco.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2004, 10:55:08 AM »
Quote from: "rocketman"
I drove the Frankenskeeter a little on the trails.  Handles the trails really well and turns good.  I liked the power - seemed strong but very smooth - kinda like a tractor (if you know what I mean).

Careful, you're gonna make enemies letting them know that the FS actually works.  Afterall, I AM a hack...   :D

Quote from: "rocketman"
Bucked seems to have this premanent smile.
Oh by the way Bucked rolled it on the motocross track.  I think we should rename it the Bucking Bronco.

LOL!!!  I'm extremely happy that Buck's enjoying the Bronco.  May he enjoy it for a long time!  (and roll it many more times too. - Roll cage integrity testing is good!)

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2004, 05:37:30 PM »
[strong mexican accent] Muy bueno, Moskito!!! Me alegra oir que por fin ganastes la carrera este a?o! [/strong mexican accent]

Very good, Moskito!!! I'm happy to hear that you finally won the race this year!  :lol:

Way to go, bud!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

FL670R

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2004, 05:40:57 PM »
Quote from: "Moskito"

Quote from: "stoneman"
wicked

No pix or video from our end.
Hopefully I'll get some pix from Kim Cook (photographer that follows the races).
In car camera wouldn't have shown squat other than a very dirty & wet lens.

The Q silencers are the way to go!

We can actually hear things now and don't suffer from a bad case of "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" for the next three days...   http://www.yellowdogracing.com/deztaz/quiet.htm

No Video  :cry:   :cry:   :cry:

Congrats on the Finish...
Sure sounds like a good time...

Great to hear (pun ?) that the Q2's are working - I'm about to add one to the Roaring 670 Rotax - It's also quite vocal   :lol:

Keep the rubber side down and the video rolling...

Dennis

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 06:21:31 PM »
WOO HOO!!!!

Not only took the win in Class 12, but also took the overall in Sportsman!!!

Lap time: 2:36.59
Next closest lap time was a 10 car 2:52:34 (he won his class)

Got some work to do if I'm gonna catch the Pro 1 cars, though.

There overall winner ran a 1:51:46 on lap 1 and 1:59.44 on lap two.  (pro classes ran two laps)

Whew - those guys were hauling arse!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 06:36:52 PM »
Congrats Skeeter....

redrider

• View Profile
Yes Congrats Bug
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 11:25:44 PM »
First, I'm glad the Taz, you and Jay made it to end     :)    
secondly, I'm glad you got there quicker than the others     another :)

that's some good mojo my short little friend!

And, pay no attention to the babble of the post following this one   :roll:

Rocketfart don't know nothin bout no mojo anyways, lessin that thar mojo comes in a glass of sweet tea or on a barbeque plate.

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2004, 01:19:12 AM »
Red have you been drinking mojo.  Go to bed.