Author Topic: Modified Pilot Fuel Tank  (Read 3351 times)

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« on: November 07, 2004, 08:50:54 PM »
Lude, nice pics!!!

http://www.p-o-ps.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=58

Thanks for taking the time to snap a few. Is that the ATV Racing modified fuel tank? What is the increased capacity? Is it a drop-in fit or do you have to move things around to accommodate it?

As for the CR500 conversion, keep us posted as to the outcome of the new powerplant!!!

Thanks bro!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 03:09:25 AM »
I'm not sure on the capacity yet....Dan that it's almost double....we'll see. There's a leak in it that I have to fix....must have happened in shipping or when I tried to wiggle it in. It's on the flange/seam up front rigth behind the mounting tab with the stud on it right next to the fuel selector dial. Hope I can clean the area and just use JB weld on it.

The air filter box and coolant resevoir must be removed for it to fit. The rad relocate IS the way to go.....so much easier to get at the carb. And I couldn't imagine wrestling the CR500 into there with out that done.

I'm having the same problem I had with the 400. On sustained WOT it burbles and dies after 2-4 secs. Different engine, carb, fuel lines, filter. Already swapped coils. NExt is CDI and fuel pump. It acts just like running out of fuel....but the EGT does not rise......idle to mid with bursts of WOT it runs fine......get to a stretch where you can hold ot for a bit and it starts to act up.....seemed to be worse the more I ran.

So later this week I'll swap a fuel pump from one of the others, and then a CDI if needed.

What else??? Any ideas?

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:42:02 AM »
ATV claims that it's 6 gallons.  Probably pretty close.

Man, that tank sure is pretty... :roll:
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 09:27:46 AM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
I'm having the same problem I had with the 400. On sustained WOT it burbles and dies after 2-4 secs. Different engine, carb, fuel lines, filter. Already swapped coils. NExt is CDI and fuel pump. It acts just like running out of fuel....but the EGT does not rise......idle to mid with bursts of WOT it runs fine......get to a stretch where you can hold ot for a bit and it starts to act up.....seemed to be worse the more I ran.

So later this week I'll swap a fuel pump from one of the others, and then a CDI if needed.

What else??? Any ideas?

I'm not a mechanic (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  :lol: ), but it sounds like it's starved for fuel, right? Maybe it's trying to suck in more fuel than what's available? If the stock fuel pump doesn't work, maybe installing one of the electric models will do the trick?

I think I remember you swapping CDI's with someone when you had the rev limiter modified. Your CDI was working correctly then, from what I remember. If this is the case, I think your CDI won't be the problem, but who knows.

I know you'll find the problem soon. The process of elimination always works.

How's the ride with the 500 compared to the 400?

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 12:05:57 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"

If it's not changed between engines, then it's got to be a fuel system issue.  I have a hard time believing that it's electrical, as it sounds very similar to the issues I had with the Moskito.

I wonder if the fuel tank is venting?

Fuel pump could be puting a vacuum on the tank and then starving the carb.

Could the tank lines be partially plugged?

Check the plug cap just for grins.

I hate jetting gremlins.  Going thru the same issue with one of my XR50s.  Extremely lean on bottom end, rich on top and the midrange is so screwed up that I may have to cut my own needle.  What a total pain in the arse.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 09:18:02 PM »
I think my pump showed up at the Post Office today...got a package slip ;)

I'll check the tank cap...forgot that one...that may just be it....it had gotten pretty dirty! the vent line may be plugged..or the cap itself.

I think I'll be ordering another dial-a-jet for this carb....the other (carb and DJ) is going on my brother's I think.

dhjunkie

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 09:34:46 PM »
more cc's demandmore fuel..  I know with auto engines, once you start going over 500 hp you need to graduate from 3/8" fuel line to 1/2" stuff..  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  more fuel!!!!!

atvnut

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2004, 09:46:16 PM »
ok correct me if I am wrong but having a larger fuel tank is kind of worthless unless all your friends have one too or yours is twice as big as theirs otherwise you have to wait for them to refuel and then they will have to wait for you to refuel just never seen the need for more fuel then the next guy now that you have the 500 it may make sense but then again does it make sense to use all the extra fuel; just so that you have to wait for your friends to catch up he he Just a thought or two
Thank you
"The Nut"

ludedude

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2004, 10:42:01 PM »
Well while they're filling up with fuel I can have a beer...DUH! :) lol

I want to be able to trail ride on some longer runs...I'll have less need for strap on tanks.

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2004, 11:15:05 PM »
Quote from: "ATVNUT"
...or yours is twice as big as theirs...

Alright, let's keep it clean!!!  :wink:

ludedude

• View Profile
Modified Pilot Fuel Tank
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 06:46:24 AM »
Just got home from night shift....checked the vent tube....it was plugged up pretty good. That's prolly what it was.

Thanks Skeeter!