Author Topic: a few pics of the new motor :( cyl pics  (Read 4205 times)

tsutton44

a few pics of the new motor :( cyl pics
« on: October 31, 2004, 08:36:24 AM »
cant believe it's down allready.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 08:44:14 AM »
Oh nice!

Classic four corner seize.

Interesting.... Usually you see that because of a cold jug and a hot piston.   Lean usually sends the exhaust side lip of the piston into the engine...

Air leak maybe?  Dunno.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

tsutton44

piston pics
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 09:51:32 AM »
:?

tsutton44

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 10:08:03 AM »
more coming ,though with this dial up connection,it's screwing with me.An hour and a half and a pot of coffee and four trips to the john with only these 16 pics! argg.It's not from a cold cylinder,i warm it up thoroughly and then run it down the roads or wherever for a good distance before i ever get close to getting on it hard.I am trying to put some more pics on and still have to split the cases or at least the one half and get a look see.doesnt make sense to me yet unless the bore to piston clearance wasnt right.Why the deep ruts and basically of the same type on the intake side only ? will know more hopefully with the case off.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 10:18:28 AM »
Interesting to say the least...

Piston/cyl clearance would be my guess now, as the colors and top of the piston all look good.

I don't know squat about 350s, so I can't help much more than stating the obvious of "Hey, you seized it!"

See if you can get Livewire to make comments on what you've posted.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

dhjunkie

• View Profile
crank seal???
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 10:22:10 AM »
Just asking.  did you do a pressure test on it.   A crank seal is notorious for that type of seasure especially with the concentrated black spot in the center of the piston.  
Blown engines always suck!

tsutton44

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 10:40:20 AM »
no unfortunately i didnt do a leakdown test.I was going to but i thought for sure a bearind had siezed and didnt see the need since it is going to have to be tore completely down and check and cleaned bottom up.This motor has next to nothing for time on it and had a new crank,rod,cases,seals ect.from the buttom up new.piston does not look to have taken a lot of heat and was running good before with the excepton of a slight hesitation in the midrange ,which i figured i was going to have to change needles soon to get it better.most of this engines time too was running rich until last week i dialed in the main a little better.

tsutton44

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 10:50:10 AM »
more pics.

tsutton44

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 11:01:13 AM »
intake was clean as a whistle,reeds are good (v-force)am going to recheck the jetting in the 39pwk.

tsutton44

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 11:06:33 AM »
more pics.

tsutton44

kiowas board
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 11:11:33 AM »
kiowa having problems again ?

tsutton44

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2004, 11:42:43 AM »
exhaust side of the piston and cylinder is barely scuffed

dhjunkie

• View Profile
plug looks too lean
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 12:41:56 PM »
from the pictures it looks too lean, but pictures can be decieving.  you said something about the midrange not being right.  Is the midrnge rich or lean?  if it is lean this will surely stick a piston faster than you think.  something to ponder, when you let off the throttle, your no longer on the main jet (most common changed for jetting and percieved as a cure all) and you begin to run off the needle,needle jet,slide cutaway,and pilot jet.  now think about how often you are on and off the throttle, it'll start to make since why mid range seizure is so common, but the mostly overlooked area.  
This was one reason why I ended up Ghetto grinding a needle on Big Toms pilot for the 24hr race.  The mid range egt went through the roof once you let off a bit and held it there for any duration of time.

when you put the engine back together, do a pressure test to double check the seals.  it can be quite easy to nick a seal and not know it. Plus this will rule out one more possibility of what went wrong.

tsutton44

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2004, 01:28:27 PM »
a little more info.

tsutton44

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2004, 01:42:22 PM »
a local buddy oversees the posting process.lol.