Author Topic: HEY PILOTSNIPER! Tire Help Holeshot XCTs  (Read 3017 times)

throttle

• View Profile
HEY PILOTSNIPER! Tire Help Holeshot XCTs
« on: October 29, 2004, 04:09:47 PM »
Pilotsniper,
I was reading your specs and noticed the XCT Tires 23 on front and 22 on rear.  I, too, have the same set up on one of my Pilots, but have found that it makes the front end very squirrelly with any speed at all.  I have tried .5" toe-in and have went to 1" and back again, but nothing seems to help.   I have the same 23 XCT fronts on my other Pilot with 24" Mudlites on the rear and it works very well.  I can't seem to make this tire combination handle well.  Any suggestions?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: HEY PILOTSNIPER! Tire Help Holeshot XCTs
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 10:16:49 PM »
Quote from: "Throttle"
Pilotsniper,
I was reading your specs and noticed the XCT Tires 23 on front and 22 on rear.  I, too, have the same set up on one of my Pilots, but have found that it makes the front end very squirrelly with any speed at all.  I have tried .5" toe-in and have went to 1" and back again, but nothing seems to help.   I have the same 23 XCT fronts on my other Pilot with 24" Mudlites on the rear and it works very well.  I can't seem to make this tire combination handle well.  Any suggestions?

What's up Throttle!!! Hey bud, I don't experience the "squirrelliness" you're describing. When I accelerate from a dead stop and the rears are spinning out of control (I love that!), I can turn the steering yoke from side to side and fishtail the rear, but the fronts hold on very tight and true. The same is true for high speed right and left turns. The fronts dig in and point the Pilot where the steering yoke tells them to go. I LOVE the ITP Holeshots!!! I had the Maxxis Razr's prior to these and I can honestly tell you that they won't be seeing any more of my money. The Holeshot XCT's are built better and last longer (my opinion). Oh, and the beefed-up sidewalls don't hurt either.

Best of luck to you!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2004, 08:13:07 AM »
What sort of tire pressures are you running Throttle?  Might be something to mess with...

Stock or modified suspension?

Can you adjust camber and/or caster?

Get Sniper's settings and see if you can copy them.

Good luck.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

throttle

• View Profile
My set up
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 10:18:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  I have a stock machine.  Stock shocks, stock A arms, etc.  I need some help with the settings, because those tires surelly aren't workng very well for me.  Thanks!

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 10:26:03 PM »
I quessing the rears might be getting too much traction.    Sounds like Sniper is modified enough to be able to break the rear end loose and overcome that.  You're still have completely stock engine and clutch (I think) and don't have the hit he has.  I actually prefer more worn tires on most of the hard pack terrain we ride on.  When I get to loose dirt or mud it is time for the knobbies.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 08:21:42 AM »
Good point Rocketman!!

I ran Holeshots on the back when I was stadium racing and usually cut about 1/2 of the knobs off the tires to get the proper amount of "lack of traction" so I could throw the car into the corners and get the slide going.

They still hooked up hard enough that I usually pulled a wheelie off the line and carried it into the face of the first jump, though.

Try putting more air pressure in the rears - will make them stick less.  Maybe you'll be able to get some front end traction that way.

I can't recall.... Are the stock rear shocks adjustable for spring preload?  If so, try putting the springs on the stiffest setting.  This will put more weight on the front end of the Pilot and help it turn.

Just try this to see if you get a difference, not as a permenant solution.  You want your springs to be as soft as possible for the best suspension action.

Trying this option will tell you if you're going in the correct direction for chassis tuning.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

tsutton44

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 11:19:48 AM »
running the holeshots on my fl350 did the same thing,too much bite an would pick up the front end just enough to unload the steering and just wanted to go straight.I was figureing the same,either more tire spin or a tamer tread height to get less traction.I figured it out at the bedford track,wheel spin and throwing the buggy thru the turns was the ticket. but dang now i dont even have a motor to turn the tires   :shock:  I am seriuosly even though im going to redo this motor.A 440   :lol:

throttle

• View Profile
Holeshots
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »
I currently run about 10 lbs of pressure in all four tires.  I'll try running the rears up to around 15lbs and see if that helps.  I do have a fairly stock set up - stock clutch and stock shocks - so no adjustments there, but it has been bored and has V-Force Reeds with a hi-flow filter and dual air box mod.  It runs strong and can break the tires loose just a little bit, but not much.  What about toe-in?  Should I try more or less toe-in than the stock setting of (.49")?  Thanks for all the help.  I would really like to make these tires work, if I can.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 08:26:50 PM »
Toe OUT on the front end will help the car dive INTO the corner. Toe IN on the front will help the car come OUT of the corner. On the rear end, it's exactly the opposite.

I have some tech stuff in my web pages - give them a look and you might find some answers to your issues.

http://www.yellowdogracing.com/techstuff.htm

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 09:18:39 PM »
This sounds like one of those never ending things wives hate to hear "Honey I need to get my engine ported cuz I dont have enough power for the new tires i just bought"  He he been there done that it is a never ending battle
Thank you
"The Nut"

tsutton44

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 10:54:30 PM »
throttle lately around here i had been running my holeshots at 15 pounds and it was better by far for slippage in the rear.Though the xct tires are a little different  than the standard holeshot tires i think and are even more agressive arent they ?

throttle

• View Profile
XCT Tires - What Tire Pressure are you running PILOTSNIPER?
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 03:27:51 PM »
Yes, the XCTs are more aggressive.  I will try experimenting with the pressure.  The problem has to be that the rears transfer all the weight to themselves and there is no weight on the front tires.  Now that I think about it, that makes sense.  I hope tire pressure makes that much difference.  Pilotsniper, what pressure are you running in the front and rear?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: XCT Tires - What Tire Pressure are you running PILOTSNIP
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 03:44:20 PM »
Quote from: "Throttle"
Pilotsniper, what pressure are you running in the front and rear?

Call me crazy, but I like 'em at 10psi all the way around! A buddy of mine (Scott) told me that he runs his (same tires) between 3-5psi.
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

throttle

• View Profile
Pilotsniper - tire pressure
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »
That is what I am currently running -10 all around, but I get this crazy squirelliness that really makes the thing hard to handle, and more over, not smooth, not stable, etc.  I do agree that the cornering is very nice, but straight lines are not fun at any speed.  

I'll try changing out all tires and see if that narrows it down to a chassis problem.  If it still wiggles, then I'll know it is not the tires.  If not then I'll have to try something else.