Author Topic: Honda Pilot FL400 Disc brake conversion kit progress  (Read 4047 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Honda Pilot FL400 Disc brake conversion kit progress
« on: October 24, 2004, 01:49:26 PM »
Well I had some time in the last month to machine up some more spindles to try and refine the modification process a bit. The adapter plate still needs a bit of work, but it makes the mod a lot neater looking than just adding chunks of metal here and there and filling in the rest with weld as I did on the first/prototype set, which I'm still running ;)

The back side of the spindle is machine flat and a bit of material is removed so as to align the caliper midway on the disc when the mounting plate is installed. The front 2 backing plate mounts are machine off to make room for the 250R caliper and mount. The upper ball joint mount will be reinforced once the plate is mounted.

The inner bearing hub of the 250R hub has to be enlarged to accept the pilot's stock inner bearing. 2mm larger diameter if memory serves me correct. Need to try and get a seal for there as I've been running only a sealed bearing there, no trouble so far, but might as well get a seal in there as there was one there before  :wink:  A new bearing spacer for inside the hub has to be machined as well as the 250R spacer will not fit over the larger bearing surface of the inner bearing on the Pilot spindle.

If you have access to a lathe, mill and a bandsaw, it's not too bad of a mod to do yourself. I will post a trace pattern of the adapter plater and dimensions of what/where the spindle was machined when I have it refined a bit more.

Parts need: 250R calipers, hubs with discs, pilot spindles, 4/144 bolt pattern rims

Parts to mod: hubs bore for larger pilot bearing, spindles to accept adapter plate.

Parts to fab: adapter plate, bearing spacer

Stock brake lines will work, that's what I still have on, even on plus 2 arms, but it puts quite a bend in them because the stock banjo bolt used has a built in bend that is not needed with the calipers.

Here's some photos: disc brake mod photos

ogopogo

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 11:35:49 PM »
there must be an easier way to do this,i just bought a long travel pilot that has front disc brakes and retains the stock bolt pattern.I havent had a chance to look close at it but when i do i will let you know what the deal is.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 10:05:35 AM »
Cool, I'd like to see how they did it. Snap somepictures when you geta chance ;)

ludedude

• View Profile
A little more info as there seems to be soe interest now
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2005, 11:16:18 PM »
I have one set done, my prototpye set. They're not pretty and one of the mounting bolts for each of the calipers are to close to the upper balljoint. What that translates to is having to remove the upper balljoint to remove the claiper, which you have to do if you need to remove the hub for any reason. The next two sets I'm working on I'm trying to relocate enough to get around that issue. Mind you once I was done tinkering with mine I haven't had to remove the hubs for any reason so it's not a big deal.

I plan to sell the next couple sets. I will probably set them up for an auction once I get them and the auction portion of this site done. I'll do it that way becuase I do not know what to charge for them....I know of no other place to get them....I know there are others with disc brakes on them, but the info is scarce.

Once I am happy with the design I will post measurements, templates whatever I can for those that have the ability to do the necessary maching to the spindles and hubs.

There was not much interest months ago when I posted so I've been leaving them on the back burner...maybe I'll pull  them out and finish a couple sets off....

Jim Billings

brakes
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:54:39 PM »
ludedude,  I work in the machining business are you machining the stock spindle or using quad spindle set up if  so which ones . please tell me more thanks Jim.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 11:24:08 PM »
I used the pilot spindles, I tried 250R spindles but the geometry is too far off to handle well on the pilot.

What else can I tell you? Did you see the pictures? I machined the back side and front edge to allow clearance for the caliper and mounting plate. I used 86-87 250R hubs, you need to bore the inner bearing hub out to make allowance for the larger pilot inner bearing, the outters match.

Jim Billings

brakes job
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 11:56:02 AM »
Ludedude , thanks for the infor. are you building a set to sell if so I,m interested. let my no Jim

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 12:53:27 PM »
Yes, I hope to have 2 sets done in the near future (2-3 weeks). Each set will be different in what's included. One set will include a set of beadlock 10" 4/144 rims 4+2 offset, modified spindles, hubs and calipers. A complete ready to bolt on kit. The other will be spindles, hubs..you'll need to purchase calipers and rims, new or used, your choice.