Author Topic: Power-Bloc clutch scrubs bolt on balancer bearing holder  (Read 2143 times)

Bucked

• View Profile
Power-Bloc clutch scrubs bolt on balancer bearing holder
« on: October 14, 2004, 09:44:16 AM »
I installed my new clutch last night and the bolt in the counter balancer bearing holder nearest the outer most edge of the stationary sheave scrubs the backside of the clutch. The clutch bolt was torqued to 65 lbs. The only thing I can think of is I might have had some dry lube over-spray get on the surface that mates with the crank. Is it possible that any lube at the mating surfaces would allow the clutch to slide in further than expected?

It looks like I can remove about 1/16" from the head of the bolt and it would be OK, but I'm worried that alignment of the drive and driven might be a problem. If you have a Power-Bloc installed, how close should the back of the clutch be to the balancer bearing cover bolt? Should I replace the stationary sheave?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 10:24:00 AM »
Harold has told me before that some people run into this...either the wrong bolt was put in there at one time or the bolt heads vary in thickness. You can grind down the bolt or try another one in it's place. It's not a problem with the clutch installation...but that bolt....On ours the clutch is very close to that bolt head.

Lube would not allow the clutch to go on further than intended...so no worries there.

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 11:02:51 AM »
It's a tapered shaft, so there's no way it's going to slide on farther than designed.

Grind the head off the bolt enough to give clearance and enjoy.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Bucked

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 02:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the quick response and support guys. I planned (or was thinking of) on sanding the head of the bolt down but wanted to be assured. Everyone I talked to (including Rocketman's) said the same. Since this is a total rebuild from the crank up I want it to be right. I also want to be able to ride it for over 2 minutes  :lol:  before another rebuild.
The only thing I haven't replaced is the head. I guess that's my next investment!

PilotSniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 04:01:04 PM »
I know I'm late to the party, but when I originally purchased my Pilot, that same little bolt had already been shaved down due to clearance issues with the PowerBloc clutch. I replaced the bolts and put a new clutch in just last week and did NOT run into the clearance issue.

Wierd, right?!?!

Best of luck on your rebuild!!!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock: