Author Topic: Clutching.  (Read 2646 times)

dirtburner

• View Profile
Clutching.
« on: July 24, 2010, 08:16:11 PM »
OK...
My buggy is running well. I opted for a 36mm pwk carb because I am going to be mostly trail riding
and a little more grunt and fuel economy is nice on the trails up north...
However... my clutch set-up is not right... yet. I thought the problem was not enough spring tension on the driven clutch
and the original driven was pitted on the faces and not in great shape. I bought the new comet replacement that popped up on ebay
and installed it yesterday. It seemed about the same. so today I pulled it back off to give it a little more twist on the spring and still no change.
I am thinking I might not have the correct spring in the 102C. I know the arms are correct and I thought the spring was pink
but it could be purple??? I'm not sure.
It doesn't really grab until after you are moving about 15 mph. when you stab it from a dig it just revs and slips the belt.
I ran it with the clutch guard off and it is not yanking the belt down in the driven like I thought it was. Its like it just doesn't have enough pinch on the belt until it is moving??? I know I should have bought the heel clicker but does anyone have any suggestions?? does aftershock stock clutch springs for 102C??

Thanks
John

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
Re: Clutching.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 09:15:59 PM »
The default spring is purple. I have one of those. A pink spring would give you a very low engagement and make it boggy. Make sure your arms are not too tight. It is actually pretty easy to clamp down on the arms and make them not pivot freely.

Atvnut probably has a mix of various used springs. He's not that far from Novi. I am thinking about going riding at the Mounds the first weekend of August. Maybe you can get him to go and could play with tuning there.

dirtburner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 09:23:58 PM »
Is that next weekend your talking about? I am planning on being there there then.
The following weekend I will be up in Luzerne "Ma deeters".
so next weekend is test weekend for us... lol

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 09:36:46 PM »
The weekend of the 6th

dirtburner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:58 PM »
Dang... I will be up north. if i get it straightened out anyway... maybe next time you guys go.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 09:47:19 PM by dirtburner »

dirtburner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 12:46:21 PM »
This morning I pulled my primary clutch off and broke it down again to inspect.
the arms were free and everything looked in order.
I swapped out the N1 arms with the ones that came in the clutch when I bought it, and the belt slip is all but gone
but it shifts way early. I need a yellow spring which is what comes in a fl350 102c from what I've read.

Part number 203475A yellow. I also read that a silver spring #204818 with with F2 #211333E arms should be used on a mostly stock buggy.

would my buggy be considered "mostly stock" I have V force reeds, aftershock intake,36mm air striker carb, mild port clean up with very little exhaust port raise, power pros pipe with aftershock silencer??

Hey ATVnut do you have any of these pieces that I could purchase from you??

Thanks
Guys... The beast is getting close and I cant wait to get some seat time in it... 8) 

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:36:49 AM »
The Yellow was what Comet originally put in. They changed years ago to the purple and never changed any documentation.

dirtburner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:08 AM »
so.... do you have a purple spring?? if so can I come and get it sometime this week??

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »
Yes, I have a purple spring and yes, you could come get it.