Author Topic: CR500 mods  (Read 3932 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
CR500 mods
« on: July 08, 2004, 10:06:20 AM »
Do the benefits of rad relocation and dual air intakes apply to the CR500 mod setup as well, or should there be others? Does the CR500 NEED the rad relocation? Does it run hotter than the 400? Still run the airbox with the CR500 setup? Or Desert style air filter on boot only?

Does the CR500 burn much more fuel? Will it be an issue in comparison to a 400 for run time?

I'm getting a few cases done for the CR500 mod. I'll have one complete engine done, another should be almost complete (may be missing a couple small items), the third i think will be cases, crank, cylinder, head and intake only. I'll be selling at least one, maybe two. If you're interested let me know. Parts are being gathered and shipped to ATV Racing now....

bleederboy

Re: CR500 mods
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 12:25:34 PM »
Quote from: "ludedude"
Do the benefits of rad relocation and dual air intakes apply to the CR500 mod setup as well?

Yes

Does the CR500 NEED the rad relocation? Does it run hotter than the 400? Still run the airbox with the CR500 setup? Or Desert style air filter on boot only?

Probably needs the relo - space is already at a minimum.   Carb clearance may be an issue.

No, it doesn't run hotter. - at least not enough to matter in comparison.

Not sure - the carb location thing again.  The carb sits right on top of the tranny - often need to grind a small recess and/or just remove the clutch guard stay that comes off the tranny.

You may still be able to use the stock boot and then plumb it to the airbox if the carb location difference between the 400 and 500 is not too terribly bad.

Does the CR500 burn much more fuel? Will it be an issue in comparison to a 400 for run time?

500 is a thirsty engine - probably 20% more than the 400 - then again, a built 400 can drink quite a bit.

ludedude

• View Profile
CR500 mods
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 12:27:20 PM »
Yikes! 20% more....the gas tank mod ATVR does, how much does that add?

redrider

• View Profile
I agree, I think
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 02:00:50 PM »
I don't know that the radiator relocate is "necessary" for any modification that consumes no more engine compartment space that stock.  However, I think it is considerably worth more than the time and effort required to do it just in ease of maintenance and access to carb and intake components.
In contrast to BleederBoy's statement about a built 400 consuming a bit more fuel, for some reason I've always been on the lighter side of fuel consumption with the ported 400.  Some of that may have to do with more correct jetting, and from the perspective of other observers, because I never get over 15 or 20 mph in the buggy!  :)

ludedude

• View Profile
CR500 mods
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 02:24:27 PM »
I have to agree to.....I usually am the last to have the fuel light come on between our 3 pilots, and mine is modded the most....I have to use less to stay ahead :) That's my theroy...lol

bleederboy

CR500 mods
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 02:37:04 PM »
Okay, so maybe I'm wrong.
or you guys don't hold the throttle open enough.
Sand has a tendency to eat more gas than dirt.

ludedude

• View Profile
CR500 mods
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 02:40:10 PM »
Quote from: "bleederboy"
or you guys don't hold the throttle open enough.

DEFINITE:Y not the case  8)

Sand has a tendency to eat more gas than dirt.

And that from a "Ground Hardness Tester".....lol...you must know  :o  Welcome aboard.......no go pound sand.....hahah just kidding ;)

pilotdude

CR500 mods
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 10:42:10 PM »
BleederBoy you are correct about the sand issue. Dune ridding will cause you to use up more fuel more quickly. Im not sure how much more as I was only on sand ounce. But you use more fuel because a greater load is applied to your engine. On dirt the load is a lot less.

And Yes I hold my throttle pretty open. Im not going to sound like a speed freak, but most of the trail that I ride, we can blaze around 40-55mph. I get about 3-4hours on a tank of gas trail riding- and thats with a ported and built up 400. On the motocross track I usally get about 2-3hours.

PD

bleederboy

CR500 mods
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004, 07:40:24 PM »
AHA!  That made me realize something - and I see it the same way now.

Woods riding, dune riding, desert riding - play riding in general seems to use less fuel than MX or racing.

I guess it's because you're constantly varying the throttle in smaller, less dramatic amounts while you enjoy the scenery and such.  You don't use WFO near as much as you think, either.  Yea, off the line and out of corners, but you have longer sections that only require 1/3 - 1/2 throttle to haul balls once you're moving. :shock:

But the second you get into "short course" mode (i.e. MX, stadium style, "quick and tight") you pretty much use two settings:  
On
Off

Most of the time it's delivered in bursts (wide open until you see God, then brake)- acceleration's what really eats the push water - so fuel economy goes bye bye  :?

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
CR500 mods
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 12:11:36 PM »

Most of the time it's delivered in bursts (wide open until you see God, then brake  :?

LOL, reminds of my motocross days!  Good analogy.

You're right, sand eats up the fuel.  I ride almost exclusevily (sp?) on sand and the few times we did go ride some in the desert, we kept wondering why we were'nt having to put them in reserve.