Author Topic: FL350 wont start using electric starter - please help  (Read 14539 times)

raider

FL350 wont start using electric starter - please help
« on: May 09, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »
My "new" FL350 will not start using the electric starter.  It will start with the first pull everytime using the pull start.  I removed the starter.  Did not have the infamous oil problem, but went ahead and rebuilt anyway.  Before reinstalling, hooked to battery cables to check and seemed to be working great.  I also changed out the ignition switch with one purchased from odysseysalvage.com.

With all new parts now, when I push the start button it turns over strong but just will not fire, even with a shot of ether.  Does anybody know how many amps the FL350 battery should be good for?  Maybe my battery is just a little to weak.  I started to jump it off my auto, but thought the much higher amps may cause damage.  Even after all that, I can pull the starter manually and it cranks right up.

Any ideas?  Thanks,
Dan

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 06:55:29 PM »
Do you have spark during cranking? There may be a current draw from a bad wire etc and while cranking the starter there is no spark.
Thank you
"The Nut"

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 07:20:47 AM »
I'm not familiar with the 350, but a Pilot can experience a situation where the starter drags just enough that the engine won't turn over.  It happens when starter's over tightened in its mounts.  (the bendix gets put in a bind)

Maybe yours is on too tight?

This is just a wild guess, though.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

raider

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 09:44:29 PM »
Well, I checked both of your suggestions.  I am going to try another battery next just to see if that gives it enough to start.  It turns over strong and sparks strong.  Any other ideas????
Dan

betel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 10:05:59 PM »
Current is a function of resistance, reactance and voltage.  You can jump it from your vehicle as long as the voltages are the same for both systems, ie 14 VDC.  It sounds like  your battery is weak to me.  Maybe a poor connection.   Try measuring the voltage at the battery terminals and compare it with the voltage at the starter as you crank it.  The voltage at the starter should be just slightly less.  Too much drop indicates poor connections.

tsutton44

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 09:24:44 AM »
any more luck with it raider ?

raider

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 08:03:46 PM »
Have not had chance to check it yet.  Should be able to check it this coming weekend.  The business travel days always occur at the wrong time.
Dan

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 08:07:56 PM »
Had a brain fart did you check the spark with another spark plug leaving one in the engine while cranking so that the starter is under load.
Thank you
"The Nut"

raider

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »
No, I pulled the plug from the head and watched spark.  Did I do that wrong?  

Please clarify the jump start comments.  Electrical understanding is one of my worst fears, however, I was concerned that jumping the odyssey from a truck battery with significantly more amps (no volts) may hurt the CDI or other parts.  Let me know.
Dan

betel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 09:03:00 PM »
If it were me, I would go ahead and clean all the connections between the battery and the starter using a small wire brush.  Pay attention to any grounds also.  Invest in a small automatic battery charger.  They cost maybe $30 to $40 at Walmart.  Make sure its an automatic.  You can overcharge a battery with a manual charger and ruin it.  It will come in handy if you ever need to charge your car battery anyway.  What takes out electronics are the high voltage surges that can occur when circuits are opened under load; keep this in mind when you are jump starting any vehicle (ie turn off both vehicle before connectons are made or broken).  Also do not connect a charger to your vehicle electrical system unless a good battery is installed.  Sometimes batteries can develop open circuits and effectively not be in the circuit.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 09:35:21 PM »
I think you should leave a plug in the cylinder to better simulate the load on the electrical system during cranking
Thank you
"The Nut"

raider

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2004, 06:21:14 PM »
Well the battery is fine.  I pulled the spark plug wire and plug in another one so similate a load on cylinder as recommended.  That exposed part of the problem.  When pulling the manual pull start, good spark.  When pushing the button on electric start, no spark.  After checking resistance on the CDI and coil, all seemed fine.  From what little bit I know, it seems like my CDI is having problems telling the coil when to spark.

After messing around some more, starting working for a few hours.  Then the electric starter stopped again.  Now, all you hear is clicking sound coming from the relay back right above the battery.  When the button is pushed, the relay clicks.

Got any ideas??????????
Thinking of buying new coil and CDI for future.

Dan

MassOdy

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2004, 07:27:01 PM »
Well clicking is the solenoid for the starter. thus low power on your battery.

I'd check each of your windings. Make sure there are no shorts or opens.

Definitely sounds a bit intermittent so look for loose connections.
especailly grounds inside.

Check the pickup signal to the CDI before changing it out. Maybe
its not gettin the right inputs to know when to fire.... Just a suggestion.

bob

raider

electric start??????
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 11:08:02 AM »
Well, I am back again still trying to fix my electric starter problem.  I recently bought what appeared to be a good deal (rectifier, CDI,and coil assembly off of EBay).  Since these parts can not be attained new anymore, I figured I might as well throw some different parts on it.  

After changing the CDI, still same diagnosis as before.  I have a great battery which is being maintained by a BatteryMinder.  As before, when I push the start button, I just get a single click each time from the starter switch above the battery.  I have checked everything else per yalls recommendations.

Is it very common for this switch to go out?  Should I attempt to get a new one?  Are "new" ones available or is this another used part search?  Let me know.
Thanks,
Dan

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2004, 11:39:16 AM »
Ok need a recap on this one. Are these accurate?

The starter is rebuilt
It was spinning strong
Starts well with pull start
Good spark with pull start (another plug in cylinder)
Weak spark with electric start (another plug in cylinder)
Now starter just clicks

If you can reach the power cable post on the starter with a small jumper cable, connect it there, then touch the other end to the postive on the battery. If that spins it strong, it's between the relay/solenoid and the starter. Bad cable,  (I know mine was ground down on my pilot by the driven clutch), bad connections, or bad solenoid. You say it's clicking, os it sounds like it's doing it's job...inside connectors may be burnt and not passing full current though.

If it does not start jumping with cable as above, it's in the starter   :x  or the battery does not have enough juice, but you said it's good.