Author Topic: FL350 Rebuild Pics  (Read 3947 times)

betel

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« on: April 27, 2004, 09:22:30 PM »
I'm almost through rebuilding my fl350 and wanted to post some pics.

Work performed:
Replace J-arm bushings
Replace rear brake rotor & pads
Replace exhaust pipe and silencer
Install fuel tank (came with gravity feed tank)
Replace rear wheel bearings
Replace u-joints
Install OEM choke function
Replace tie rods, ends, & boot
Replace seat
Install OEM headlights
Install missing mirror
Clean & repaint everything

It was alot more work than I thought it would be.

My next project is to rebuild my Pilot.

cwwiedmaier

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 09:30:55 PM »
looks good ill be doing the same thing next fall after this riding season

ludedude

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 09:46:37 PM »
Looks Great! Would you like one of those pic's as your avatar?

spynergy

Sweet!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 12:04:51 AM »
Nice work!   :shock:  Why did you replace the gravity feed tank?  Was it one of those aluminum high-mount jobs?  Good luck finishing it and happy riding!

betel

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 08:30:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys!  

The biggest reason I replaced the gravity feed tank was it blocked my rear view and I just didn't like it.  All I could see in the rear view was the black plastic tank.  I also think there is the issue of safety.  Much of the tank was outside the cage and had the potential to be punctured in an accident.  I don't really want to be burned alive in my Odyssey.

I forgot to mention a couple of other things I did to the 350;
Replaced the battery box
Used stainless steel fasteners were available.  (Some of the fasteners were Honda proprietary or need to be a higher grade).

Note to ludedude:  
If an avatar is a picture of the post author that would be great.  I will probably want to change it later when I complete the rebuild on my Pilot but that will be awhile.  Please use image# fl350_2r.jpg.

Thanks,
Betelgeuse

tsutton44

FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 02:12:40 PM »
real nice job,one word of caution though keep an eye on the replaced u-joints ! unless you have bought new axles from honda,it could be trouble and it may take a shock out if your unlucky.If you havent changed the stock shocks to Works,i would consider it . Youd be amazed a what a difference they make  :wink:

ludedude

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 02:51:09 PM »
Quote from: "betelgeuse"
Note to ludedude:  
If an avatar is a picture of the post author that would be great.  I will probably want to change it later when I complete the rebuild on my Pilot but that will be awhile.  Please use image# fl350_2r.jpg.

Thanks,
Betelgeuse

Had to crop it a bit, but there it is! ;)

mudbogger

FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 05:28:43 PM »
Nice job, good luck!!

Bucked

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 07:32:25 PM »
Mirrors? You don't need no stinkin mirrors! No one is ever behind you. If I was u, I'd try improving my driving skills so I could keep up with everyone else. If anything, you should buy me a set of bigger mirrors so I can relax while waiting for you to catch up.  :lol:

mudbogger

FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 08:47:46 AM »
I have a great little video of an odyssey rolling over with a gravity feed tank on it, the owner posts here sometimes, he was unhurt and by all accounts the gravity feed tank came out in perfect shape,perhaps the owner could shed some light on it---hehehehe.The gravity feed tanks are safe to use,the video proves it.I would post but want to get permission from the owner before doing so.

betel

• View Profile
FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 10:22:26 AM »
You know its posible the reason the Oddy rolled was because of the higher center of gravity.  Putting that much weight so high in the vehicle has got to have some effect on its handling.  I seriously doubt anyone in here has the engineering expertise, money, or time to study what effect a tank mounted so high has on the vehicle.  I think I would rather trust the Honda engineers who designed the machine.  I do not agree one isolated event proves anything.

mudbogger

FL350 Rebuild Pics
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2004, 05:33:58 PM »
I agree with you-1 isolated event doesnt prove the tanks are safe, I was responding to the comment of the tank leaking on a rollover, I agree with you that putting the tank up on the cage does effect the center of gravity slightly but it isnt that much weight and most of the time the ody's flip on turns or going backwards down hills, etc.I have flipped mine many times in such a manner and cannot say that the gravity feed tank was the reason for the flips, I would blame it on my poor riding skills-hehehe.I also will agree the tank is mounted on the frame for a reason from Honda, but without the tank there it allows easy access to the side cases, etc and working on the motor, etc is greatly inhanced,just my 2 cents.