Author Topic: Need help with the u joints on a fl350  (Read 9052 times)

THAYSLETTE

Need help with the u joints on a fl350
« on: April 05, 2004, 10:51:08 AM »
well i put the triple e pipe and 94c clutch on my fl350 and went to la dunes in louisiana this past weekend first dune i went up it ran great and then snap bust the u joint next to the trans. thats a quick end of a trip on a sunday noone is open. where can i find a u joint for this and around how much am i looking at is this a regular problem on the 350. i see that ody salvage has them for 37.50 each. do they make heavy duty u joints for these things.

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 12:17:19 PM »
do yourself a favor and buy a new shaft from honda  try either www.servicehonda.com or hillside honda ask for the good guy discount  707.263.9000
Thank you
"The Nut"

Odyknuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 12:31:50 PM »
The "U" joint that Odyssey Salvage sells is a heavy duty unit. They are the OEM cross reference replacement. According to the supplier  (not Odyssey salvage) they had lasted him 5 years in his Ody the last time I talked to him. If your "U" joints actually broke I would recommend buying the new axel unless you can confirm the yoke is straight.

THAYSLETTE

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 12:34:07 PM »
they were the original u joints on the bike from 85 and i think they were just wore out

mudbogger

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 05:48:04 PM »
Is the axle damaged were putting a new joint in is impossible?If not go with the sure thing and spend the 37.00 on a oem from randy youll be lovin it later.

THAYSLETTE

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 06:33:36 PM »
It snap the u joint right at the middle not at the shaft i bought the new ujoints and also bought a set of works for the rear the other shocks were shot randy at ody salvage had some used ones that i believe were on his boys 350.

betel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 01:52:02 PM »
Powertrain Industries P/N: 9951-22 is a direct replacement u-joint for the FL350.  I bought four a few weeks ago for 18.36/each.  Any driveline shop should be able to get them.  Only difference I could see between the replacement and the original was the replacements body was a little thicker.  Make sure you don't discard the washer or locking ring because the replacement does not include them.

mudbogger

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 06:09:21 PM »
If the body is smaller than the stock one, it's gonna break, I tryed to use them and they didnt last for 1 hr, randys come with the clips and washers, trust me buy them from him, youll be lovin life without a broken u joint.

betel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 07:12:27 PM »
Have you tried the Powetrain Industries u-joint?  Clips and washers are easy to find.  If anything I think these are stronger than stock because the body is thicker.

mudbogger

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 05:40:26 PM »
Quote from: "betelgeuse"
Have you tried the Powetrain Industries u-joint?  Clips and washers are easy to find.  If anything I think these are stronger than stock because the body is thicker.

I have not, but will try them if they are larger than stock, I must apologize, I read you posting the wrong way.Can you direct me to a site/bis that has the stock clips-washers for the u joints please?I would love to have new to install with the new joints but havent heard of a place that sells them to date,thanks alot.

betel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2004, 06:48:52 PM »
I have an extra set of u-joints that I need to build an extra shaft with but don't have the washers and clips.  I plan on going to a local fastener supply store to find these parts.  Its possible I will need to fabricate the washer.  The washer is a little unusual in that it has a rather large hole in it for the diameter.  It just needs to allow clearance for the button on top of the bearing cap and be the proper diameter and thickness of course.  Although I have not seen the joints Odyssey Salvage sales, I suspect he is getting them from Powertrain Industries.  I think when he originally offered them he did not include the washers or clips.

I tried a u-joint from NAPA and never even ran with them.  The bearing holder diameter was much less and I had to shave the cap significantly.  What a pain in the A that was.  I didn't trust them.  I do trust these from Powertrain, as I think you will too once you see them.

mudbogger

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 01:29:43 PM »
Cool, thanks for the info, Ill ask Randy next time I speak to him as to the distributor of the clips for the new joints, mabye Ill get lucky and he'll tell me where he gets them from!!

sspracing

u joints
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2005, 01:21:04 AM »
need address or email to power industries please email [email protected].  thanks. have three fl350's to restore. found address myself. here it is  http://www.driveshaft.com/search.htm  hope this helps.