Author Topic: Group riding, events, Hatfield-McCoy, etc.  (Read 5673 times)

redrider

• View Profile
Group riding, events, Hatfield-McCoy, etc.
« on: March 31, 2004, 07:14:54 PM »
This is in response to Odyknuck's question on the temporary announcement thread for Coal Creek/Durhamtown interest
Part one of my response - I will continue to stay in contact with the Hatfield-McCoy Trail Authority and will more than likely plan a couple of visits there this year.  Folks will be notified when I'm close to doing that so as to establish a good date.  Also, just FYI, the H-M administration notified me near the end of last year that they are nowhere near a revision in their width policy nor would they be anytime in the near future.  The had been getting questioned about width restrictions on their message board and decided to "firm up" their position a bit.  Below is a quote from one of those board entries:

"As for any type of vehicle that exceeds the 50 inch width restriction, those will not be allowed on the trail system.  The original intent was not to have those types of vehicles, there are tread wear issues, environmental issues, as well as such changes would begin the Authority down a slippery slope.  If we allow 51, then it becomes 52 and then someone will have a 53 and wonder why they are not allowed.  I don't see this regualtion changing anytime in the near future.

The only exception to the 50' rule would be for an offically sanctioned specialty event authorized by the Hatfield-McCoy Regional Recreation Authority, or for a handicapped individual who brings official physican documentation to the Authority offices for a special handicapped permit."  

The above quote was taken from a thread on H-M's message board, link to that thread is below:

http://www.trailsheaven.com/message.cfm?boardfunc=displaymessage&messageid=28671

This next link is a response by Bucked to a H-M message board thread about width.  This is something you might think about.  If you can put narrow enough wheels on the rear of a Pilot or 350 and bring the overall width of the machine to 50", you would not need special persmission as I understand the restrictions.  If you can pass through their restrictor posts (not present at all their trailheads) then you can access the trails.

http://www.trailsheaven.com/message.cfm?boardfunc=displaymessage&messageid=28869

This indicates what problems we've had maintaining the privilege of riding at Hatfield-McCoy.  It has taken much lobbying and communication just to get the special permission required.  It's a shame that such a great place for these buggies isn't more accessible.

Now for part two of my response (might stir up some controversy) -  as stated above, I'll be happy to obtain permission to ride at H-M but I do not plan on "organizing" or "hosting" any events.  This has quite a bit to do with my preferences in riding and some to do with group dynamics.  I enjoy the large riding groups for the social aspects of the Pilot/Odyssey community.  I enjoy the group "as a whole" off the trail when we're sitting around bench racin, fixin somebody's POS or hanging by a fire and throwing a cold one back.  I do not enjoy the large group on the trail.  This is just a personal opinion but I much, MUCH prefer riding in groups of 3, 4 or 5 at the most.  With 4 or 5 you should have plenty of problem solving power in case someone encounter a problem. When you have groups larger than that you tend to stop and go way too often cutting down on the actually amount of riding done and somewhat defeating the purpose of hitting the trails.  I've seen this for years now and some others agree that when the larger groups gather for an event, riders should be willing to separate into smaller groups to make the most of trail time.  Yet the group mentality tends to make everyone wait on everyone else so that everyone can go ride together.  This is particularly understandable when there are new folks who've never been out with the group.  Just for the record, I'll take the new guys out on the trails anytime, but only 2 at a time!  LOL  If you like the larger group rides, great, have at it and enjoy, that's what it is about.  But if you divide into smaller groups, and I don't mean to ride with the same guys all the time, but to change around while keeping the groups small, you'll maintain a better overall speed on the trail.  You'll likely take some perceived responsibility off the leader of the group to make sure everyone is staying up and making the right turns, and you'll probably find that more individuals are apt to take the lead as they won't feel like they are holding as many people up if they don't "go fast"!
Again this is just a personal opinion based on observation of group dynamics and personal preference.  Also, the "hosting" thing has to do with some of the recent group stuff.  I'm not into taking the lead responsibility for many things now as I'm not ready to take any crap from those who don't like it and want to be loud about it.  I just want to ride my Pilot and enjoy my friends!

PilotHawK

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004, 09:18:33 PM »
you like riding your friends huh? I have benn wondering since I saw this pic of the side of rocketman's trailer!

HAHA he can edit, but so can I! here was the original quote
(chatroom excerpt)

"I just want to ride and enjoy my firends"
<PilotHawK> lol
<PilotHawK> i think so
<redrider> you must have read my post
<PilotHawK> that was the last line from your hm post.

See if mine changes any this time??

atvnut

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 09:24:24 PM »
Quote from: "PilotHawK"
you like riding your friends huh? I have benn wondering since I saw this pic of the side of rocketman's trailer!
Redrider: " I just want to ride and enjoy my firends! "  that on the trailer explains this obvious freudian slip
Thank you
"The Nut"

mgr

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004, 09:44:44 PM »
Red I agree with you 100%.  We have seen this happen too.  You are just the first person to put it into type.  Way to go.

rocketman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 09:08:48 AM »
Let us all remember that Stoneman was the one that produced the Gay Pride promotion  - now whether or not Red was involved I don't know.  I just regret my trailer got caught up in this mischief.

lovehipr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 12:18:42 AM »
I am a newer here.
Glad to meet u.
Is anyone online?
coach outlet office 2010 Office 2007