Author Topic: Power Bloc  (Read 5142 times)

pilotdude

Power Bloc
« on: March 29, 2004, 09:06:13 PM »
I should be  reciving my new power  bloc clutch from ludedude any day now. I heard on the other site that a instuction book did not come with the clutch. Also that there were some new design features. Sense it seems I wont get any answers on the other site I came here. First I have a clutch on my other pilot, is there special assembly features of the new clutch that I should be aware of? I have the manual from a clutch bought around 5 years ago. Same assebly order? Also what are the new design features of the new clutch?

Second Lude, I am not upset about not getting a manual. There is no other place I could have gotten a clutch that cheap, so if I have to get instuructions online fine with me.

PD

macdanny

Power Bloc
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 10:07:22 PM »
If you already have a powerbloc then just study the new PB and it will come to you . Piece o cake

redrider

• View Profile
new weight carriers or pucks
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 11:35:29 PM »
One thing that was noticed about the new PowerBloc was that the pucks that carry the weight discs are narrower on one end so that they will only fit into their slots in one direction.  Used to it didn't matter which end went in first.  Just look at them and you'll be able to tell.
Also, if you're used to having a PowerBloc, and it is an ALT version - cool, if not, be aware of the "D" washer configuration of the cover and how it aligns with the end of the inner half shaft.  Make sure it is aligned properly.  I can't speak for everyone else on torque value when installing a PowerBloc.  I CAN say that I torqued mine down to about 90 ft. lbs.  During a conversation with Harold (HRD Racing) when I purchased my first new PowerBloc, he suggested that the recommended spec was 75 or 80 ft. lbs. but that 90 was fine and would not begin to slip.  I have found that to be the case so far.  I marked my clutch after installing the last time and it hasn't moved at all.  But - that is only an observation, not a suggestion as it is probably not in keeping with factory specs.

ludedude

• View Profile
Power Bloc
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 01:18:40 AM »
The manual fro Harold online is all I have. For whatever reason I could not get them from CVT..I have a link in the Pilot Tech forum...There is a "sticky" post there with links. Thanks for not being upset ;)

I did post, at least I'm quite sure I did, that I could not get manuals...but I know that was a long...long time ago...I just looked at my records and this all started a ~11months ago.....getting the clutches!!!

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Power Bloc
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 08:28:35 AM »
I don't know if this manual is the one needed, but I got it from somewhere and put it on my "Manuals" site:

http://www.atlanticpaints.com/Manuals/PDF%20Files/POWERBLOC.pdf

Please, if it's the wrong one, let me know so that I can delete it!

Thanks!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
Power Bloc
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 09:31:52 AM »
I think that's where I got mine... :)

Ramjet

Thanks!
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004, 03:09:15 PM »
Thanks for the link.

mudbogger

Power Bloc
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2004, 10:28:30 AM »
Hey Red, YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE NEW PUCKS INSTALLED by chance?It would be veryn helpful to us newbies that havent had any type experience eith the powerblocs.

redrider

• View Profile
pics of powerbloc
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2004, 02:08:46 PM »
I am headed out the door right now  :)  However, I will edit this post this evening with some pictures of the clutch assembled.  No problema mi amigo!

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
The Power Bloc, eh. (It's Canadian)
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2004, 05:24:58 PM »
Figured I'd beat up on Red and post pix for you guys since I had mine handy and close by.

Looks like the all the other Power Blocs I've used but the pucks are different.  New number on the side of them is 0130-3003.   I don't know the older clutch puck number.

They only go in one direction, as they are slightly tapered - the narrow end goes into the clutch body.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but I want to say that each washer is worth about 400 - 450 rpm of engagement change.  More washers = a quicker engagement (that is the clutch will engage at a lower RPM).

Most people start around the 12-13 washer load and then back out to 10-11 depending on what hookup/engagement they're looking for.  I think 11 gave me a 4200 launch in my last setup.

This will depend on the spring too.  Don't have specs off hand for them, though.

Tuning Tip

If you're running a Power Bloc and the engage speed's up above 3500 or so, you will have to pull the gray wire out of the CDI unit to disable the reverse rev limiter.  You will find the gray wire on the smaller (two lead) of the two Molex connectors that go into the CDI unit.

You can clip it off at the Molex, or if you're really anal about things, you can use a very tiny pick to push the keeper pins in (from the plug in side), pull the wire out of the Molex connector and then put heat shrink around it to keep it from grounding out against anything.

Snip and tuck's much easier.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
Power Bloc
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2004, 05:26:57 PM »
Not sure if this is exactly what you need but it may help.

http://www.p-o-ps.com/coppermine_dir/thumbnails.php?album=22

ludedude

• View Profile
Power Bloc
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2004, 05:28:27 PM »
damn! beat by skeeter!

redrider

• View Profile
PowerBloc preparation
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2004, 09:40:45 PM »
http://www.pilot-odyssey.com/~redrider/powerblocprepare.html

The above link will take you to a page I prepared today.  Though it appears to be needed no longer!  I WILL provide it because I went to the trouble!  LOL    :roll:   I'm just a little slow.

pilotdude

Power Bloc
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2004, 10:05:34 PM »
Red, how far is the distance between the two slots in your clutch holder? If I have these I can easily dupilate one for my self. Thanks

PD

redrider

• View Profile
clutch holders
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 10:58:14 PM »
The clutch face holder is from a block of aluminum about 3/8 to 1/2 thick.  outside extents of the slots are around 71mm (the distance that would be from back to back of clutch faces when holder is in place)  The depth of the slots need to be enough for you to feel comfortable that the holder will not slip off.  The rest of the dimensions can just be "reasonable".  Remember, the overall holder needs to be small enough to remain in place while fastening the clutch to the crankshaft and still be removed.

The tabs on the tool used to hold the clutch from spinning while tightening the clutch bolt have a grip distance of about 62mm.  Just measure the width of one of the puck slides and see what it takes to "grip" it.  Make sure the tabs are long enough to extend down along the sides of the puck slide as far as they will go.  This has been an invaluable tool for tightening a powerbloc.