Author Topic: Comet 102c on a 350?  (Read 2900 times)

MassOdy

Comet 102c on a 350?
« on: March 29, 2004, 02:34:07 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was inspecting my 350 and its belt last night. I noticed on the inside of the belt there is a groove worn into it. Almost like a 4mm by 4mm groove.

There is a matching ridge on the clutch face on the exterior side. This ridge is at the bottom of the outside clutch face at the inside smallest diameter.

The groove matches and is on the belts outside inner diameter edge.

Anyone else have a 102C to compare too.

I thought I had good clutch movement. I have very few hours on this belt and it was new when I rebuilt this engine last year and added the clutch..

My clutch faces appear to be smooth. Looks like I need a new belt once I correct this cause.

Time to go read those belt posts of the past few weeks.

I need to take measurements and pics. Its just so tight for pics from a video camera.

FYI: I'm posting this in two boards to get coverage from all. I appreciate any help.
Bob

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Comet 102c on a 350?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 03:27:12 PM »
Bob, Scott has a 102C on his Pilot. He's in Ocala (again, lucky SOB!) until tomorrow. Do you want me to ask him or take pics the next time I go to his house?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

MassOdy

Comet 102c on a 350?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 05:32:20 PM »
might as well.
Or check his to see if he's getting abnormal belt wearing.

Thanks.

mgr

Comet 102c on a 350?
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 06:06:45 PM »
Just about all the Powerblock clutches from HRD have the same problem.  Not sure about the 102's.  Run your hand down the movable face and you will feel the sharp lip at the end.  I think it was Big Tom who came up with the idea to grind that lip off and make round and smooth.  I know it works for the Powerblocks I don't why it wouldn't work on the 102.  If the belt just has a groove in it you can still run it.

MassOdy

Comet 102c on a 350?
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2004, 07:44:50 PM »
The ridge isn't as bad as I thought from memory and feel.

The belt ends up being just under 31mm so I have 4 mm to go.

the belt is riding upto within an inch of the O.D. of teh clutch face.

Will need to get a spare belt just in case.

Thanks

mudbogger

Comet 102c on a 350?
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2004, 11:29:12 AM »
Hey MASS I have a 94c for sale if you would like to try it out,email me if you need it.