Author Topic: Who was interested in the disc brake conversion?  (Read 6567 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Who was interested in the disc brake conversion?
« on: March 18, 2004, 10:12:32 AM »
I had a couple people interested, can't find the emails.....can you reply or email me please...

Want to get a couple sets out for testing by others not just me...

PilotNut

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 10:14:48 PM »
Hey Lude -  I might be interested in being a front disc brake conversion "test Pilot".  I have an LT front end if that matters. Can you give me an idea of what's involved and how much it'll cost?

Thanks!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 10:35:03 PM »
It's bolt on. Heck go here for the details

http://www.45thparallel.net/discbrake/discbrake.html

Moskito

• View Profile
    • http://www.yellowdogracing.com
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 11:36:46 AM »
hang on a few...
I have plans for a bolt kit on that uses OEM Honda stuff...  No mods to parts you have to buy, so on and so forth.

Will be the next project after I get the heads finished  (which I hope is this week)

Go check the vendor's site - there's more info there.
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2004, 12:21:51 PM »
I've got one set done...I win :)

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 12:26:56 PM »
Just kidding..I replied to your email Marc and mentioned Moskito is looking in t a kit too. Mine uses OEM Honda Parts too..I mod the pilot spindles and inner bearing race on the hub....then it's all bolt on.

I'm curious to see what you come up with Moskito...Anyway I cut it, it isn't cheap....with new rims, tires, and pads (the rest are used parts)  figured in ~1500.00+shipping for the 1st couple test sets

Then $1750.

All new parts $2225

Still interested Marc? I have parts so I'm going to make at least 2 more sets...you got a time frame Skeeter? Curious to see what you come up with.

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 04:09:24 PM »
Mine will require no modification of anything - just unbolt the old stuff and bolt on the new.

I haven't done any price break downs yet, but I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 for the "Full Kit".

OEM Honda parts will be:
Two sets of bearings, two sets of seals, two brake rotors and mounting bolts, left & right calipers and mounting bolts, lug studs and steel braided lines.  There's the majority of the money.

I'll shop around (Service Honda, Hillside and I'll even hit up Honda of Troy - will talk to Susan) for the best prices on the OEM stuff.  Hopefully they'll give me a bit of a break if I order enough to do, say 6-8 sets.  I'll also be talking to Braking about rotors and maybe calipers?

I'll be making the hubs and caliper mounts.  Should be pretty easy, actually.  The material's pretty inexpensive by comparison.  Then it's just my time at the laptop and then at the machine center.

Depending on the response I get from this board and the POOA board when I get the first kit prototyped, I may offer three levels of the kit.

A) Simple Parts Kit - K-fab will supply the parts that are machined and then let the buyer go out and get the Honda parts.  I'd include a parts list along with part numbers of what would be needed to finish the kit.

B) Full Kit - will include all the stuff I listed above.  Get a box from K-fab, and in a couple hours have disc brakes up front.

C) K-fab Factory kit - High performance calipers (if they exist?), Wave rotors (if they exist?) and then a slighty different hub.  Want to get it anodized and do some fancy stuff around the bearing areas - will be looking into tapered roller bearings also.  I'm guessing that this kit (if it happens) will probably run at least 50% more than the "Full Kit"

The only snag I can see is if I can NOT make it a direct bolt on - NO MODIFICATIONS - unit.  If that happens I will not do it.  I hate getting something that's "bolt on" and then end up having to modify the stuff it's being bolted on to.

As far as a time frame goes - that depends.

I'm hoping to get the first set of my heads done this week and start getting them out to my testing people.  Once they do their Elvis impersionation (leave the building) I have a couple XR-50 projects that I need to tackle and then it will be brake kit time.

I figure it will be June at the earliest, but who knows, I may get a fire under my butt and knock out the prototype sooner than that.

It also depends on how efficient I get with programming and running the machine center.  It's getting easier each day and when my kids are with their mom I get about 10 hours a day in front of it.  I'll be standing in front of it here in about 20 minutes and then thru the rest of the week.

Lots of "ifs"...
Moskito - Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming \'WOW-What a Ride!\'

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 07:20:13 PM »
I would be interested, email me at [email protected]

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 08:10:51 PM »
The full kit sounds great for me Moskito, any idea of price range?under a 1000 as you said in your post?

PilotNut

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 09:19:39 PM »
$2k is a little steep for me right now Lude - maybe next years project.

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 08:31:22 AM »
Quote from: "PilotNut"
$2k is a little steep for me right now Lude - maybe next years project.
I agree sorry Lude, not to be a bad guy but the 2000 price tag is alittle to much for me at the present, any way to get it down alittle by chance?

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2004, 09:51:44 AM »
Sounds great Moskito...I'd be interested in the high performance kit...

What calipers do you plan on using..400EX?

I have a template for a bolt on bracket for the 250R caliper...think I have some 3D stuff in CADKEY too. Thebracket that would bolt on to the exsisting spindle would replace the mount built into the 250 R caliper..the one with the 2 slide pins. YOu know what they look like? It was more then I wanted to get into. SO I went the route of hacking out the spindle and building it up in other places so the stock caliper mount would bolt to the spindle. I think you'll find you'll run into issues of getting the caliper in close enough to the center of the hub to match the disc. 400EX and 250R's use the same discs, so they both need to get in the same amount. The 400 EX's will be an easier mount to reproduce..hey..that's the bracket I have drawn up..not the 250R....I've been playing with this for quite awhile...I should go back to P-O.com and search for a date when I first posted....

Anyhow...if you want any info I have let me know, you're welcome to it....can you used CADKEY files?

Price all those parts out....

Are you making the hubs to fit stock wheels? If so that'll save compared to my kit.

I realize the price is steep..but go price out all the parts:
250R calipers
250R hubs
discs
bearings
seals
axle nuts
pads
pilot spindles
rims (red label OMF beadlocks)
tires (RazrII's)

Skeeter if you go with stock rims, that would be good and make it cheaper...400 EX calipers would make it cheaper too. I wanted the dual piston calipers ;)

Realize my price has new rims (beadlocks) and tires which you may not need.

No need to be sorry guys. I know it's a lot of money. Moskiot was asking me what I think a kit would sell for...said I didn't know....first step is getting some numbers out there. If he can't machine the oarts he needs to and make a little it's not worth it for him either.

I think you should consider bolt patterns...YOu can't get beadlocks or any aftermarket rims in 4/110 with stock offsets. 4/144 you have a lot more choices as they are more popular with 4 wheelers.

Just food fot thought guys.

I like this...share info...no bashing...what a concept!

vfrpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2004, 01:42:02 PM »
Moskito, I would be interested in a set .... maybe two when you get around to it.
Just keep us posted!

Moskito

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 08:34:02 PM »
Just reading thru the posts and see some questions.

The whole idea of my disc conversion it to make it to totally stock specs.  you'll be able to run the same rims you've been running.  I have stock front wheels on the FS, along with a set of stock offset beadlocks, so it's pretty important to me that it all works with the Pilot the way it came from the factory.

I guess I can also make a different bolt pattern for the option of more rims.  that would be very easy.

Anonymous

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 08:49:13 PM »
Quote from: "Moskito"
Just reading thru the posts and see some questions.

The whole idea of my disc conversion it to make it to totally stock specs.  you'll be able to run the same rims you've been running.  I have stock front wheels on the FS, along with a set of stock offset beadlocks, so it's pretty important to me that it all works with the Pilot the way it came from the factory.

I guess I can also make a different bolt pattern for the option of more rims.  that would be very easy.
Nice Moskito, keep us updated!!