Author Topic: Pilotsniper...  (Read 2950 times)

ludedude

• View Profile
Pilotsniper...
« on: February 01, 2004, 06:22:08 AM »
How about standing that pristine Pilot on end and showing off the underbelly? I take it you have the ATVR skid plate installed...

How was the install? What's involed in removing it? Would it be hard to install if it got bent/beat up on the bottom?

Who made the rear bumper?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
ATV Racing Skid Plates & Bumpers
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 11:44:02 AM »
First, thank you for the compliment! :D

Yes, the front bumper/skid plate, belly skid and engine skid is all FROM ATV Racing. The rear bumper was purchased on eBay and was listed as being made by ATV Racing, but I haven't been able to get a definite "yes" on that one. I'm only assuming it is because the seller said it was.

The front bumper/skid and rear bumper is very easy to install. Everything lines up nicely. A little tug here and there and it all bolts on quickly.

The belly skid takes a little work to install for the first time. The center console must come off in ORDER to access the front attachment bolts. The rear attachment point gives you two options: 1) Weld in the tabs to the frame that come with the kit, then drill the bolt holes in the skid to align with those welded tabs. 2) Drill the bolt holes in the skid to align with the pre-existing holes in the frame, just under the seat. I chose the second option.

The engine skid was difficult to install. It seemed like the bolt holes in mine were improperly drilled. It also seemed as though the part of the skid that points forward was not bent down properly, causing the center of the skid to stay abnormally far away FROM the frame. After some in-the-field adjustments, it ultimately went on.

After installing the full skid set, I went to "the squares" with Odykid and put the skids to the test. Although I remember reading a post FROM someone about not needing the belly skid plate, I have to completely disagree. If you ride in rough, rocky trails (like we did in the first half of the day at the squares), the Pilot is constantly landing onto jagged rocks that would otherwise be hitting (or worse, traversing) the bottom of the seat. Upon inspection after the ride, the full set of skids had dents and dings. I feel safer riding the rocky trails just knowing that those skids are doing their job.

The next time I get a chance, I'll get a full underside shot of the Pilot and post it. In the meantime, if someone can confirm the manufacturer of the rear bumper, I would greatly appreciate it!
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left!  :shock:

ludedude

• View Profile
Re: ATV Racing Skid Plates & Bumpers
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 12:31:33 PM »
Quote from: "PilotSniper"
Although I remember reading a post FROM someone about not needing the belly skid plate, I have to completely disagree. If you ride in rough, rocky trails (like we did in the first half of the day at the squares), the Pilot is constantly landing onto jagged rocks that would otherwise be hitting (or worse, traversing) the bottom of the seat.

I have no skids....yet...you should see the bottom of my machine :) Sinclairs seat is cracked! and Ted's lokks similiar to mine :shock:

hoser

Pilotsniper...
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 06:13:58 AM »
I have rode rocks before maybe not the same place you did, rocks hitting my
seat was not a issue, were the rocks hitting and scratching up Odykids seat? was yours
hitting in the seat area because the ATVR skid is 2-3" lower than the frame under the
seat area? Your using the stock height tires?

Only time I recall hitting my Pilot seat is on sharp DROP offs mostly at the dunes or
the badlands...

Anybody else have seat dragging experance?

Pictures of complete skid system?

Pictures of odykids scratched up seat skid plate?

moregoodlier

Skid Plates
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 01:48:55 PM »
I just installed ATVRacing skids on my machine along with their desert racing front bumper. Their fit and finish totally f*%king blows...excuse the french. My holes could have been closer after a 12 pack using a spoon to drill. I had all the same issues as PilotSniper.....I will try and get some pics if I can figure out how to shrink them for uploading. I called ATVR about those tabs they send in the bag figuring they would be a weld on deal....they told me those are for seats and they don't know why I got them.....interesting. I have to say though....I ride in mud and dirt mostly and in my mind the protection for my machine out weighs the weight, cost, screwing around and general frustration caused by installing the plates.

As for the steering column bolts....I used a 36" extension and a universal....is it easier to remove the console?

Can you think of any reason why they don't provide a skid FROM the motor skid to the belly skid?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
ATVR Skids
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 02:07:01 PM »
Hoser,

You're correct about the DROP in the skid under the seat. That will definitely cause premature bottoming in that area. It's the other normal-height areas that got hit which worried me. Like an insurance policy, though, it's nice knowing that the skids are there, especially with the smaller tires (23" fronts, 22" rears).

I'll ask Odykid how his underside did after that ride. He must have had the same type of hitting and scratching experience as I did, since we were riding the same trails together.

On a side note, can Odykid ride his butt off or what!?!? :D

I'll post pics of the whole underside once I get a chance to snap a few...

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Re: Skid Plates
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 02:37:54 PM »
Quote from: "moregoodlier"
My holes could have been closer after a 12 pack using a spoon to drill.

LOL! :lol:

As for the steering column bolts....I used a 36" extension and a universal....is it easier to remove the console?

The console removal isn't too difficult, so that's what I opted for. If the extension and a universal got you through it, then that's what matters. (Good idea! I didn't think of it, but I don't own a 36" extension either!) Give the console a try next time and see which one gets you there with less of a hassle.

Can you think of any reason why they don't provide a skid FROM the motor skid to the belly skid?

Maybe something to do with heat dissipation FROM the exhaust pipe? Just a guess.

hoser

Pilotsniper...
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 03:50:12 AM »
"On a side note, can Odykid ride his butt off or what "

huh?

PilotSniper

• View Profile
Clarification...
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 10:06:50 AM »
Quote from: "hoser"

huh?

Let me rephrase: That guy can ride that Pilot great, can't he?

hoser

Re: Clarification...
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 10:17:28 AM »
Quote from: "PilotSniper"
Quote from: "hoser"

huh?

Let me rephrase: That guy can ride that Pilot great, can't he?

Oh hehe yeah I guess so he is usually in my rear view so I dont get to see him
all that often, hopefully this year he will take the lead and charge on, now DC
can ride his butt off I followed him on a kick ass tour of the back woods last year!

Hint, keep a eye out for deer...

odykid

• View Profile
Pilotsniper...
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 08:59:24 PM »
Hoser you where here a guess in Florida so I have to let you go at front......lol