Author Topic: Bogging out  (Read 4864 times)

DavidsFort14

Bogging out
« on: February 02, 2004, 10:09:08 AM »
I have a 250, and it seems to have a carburation problem. I was out riding it when all of a sudden it started to bog out, not on the low speed, but if I stopppid then gave it all the gas at once it would start to bog. If I built up to the top speed it wasnt a problem. But then the next day I lost top end speed all together, it was horable, only10mph at the most. So I cleaned the carburetor and it ran great for about a week. Then it did the same thing again. I am sure that it was getting to much gas. So I blamed the floats, the air that was coming in may have been dirty, I think that it is the carburetor getting dirty, but on one week?

I just wanted to know if any one alse has this problem.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
Bogging out
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 11:25:25 AM »
A little more info might help. Has this been sitting for any length of time? They are notorious for HAVING rusty gas tanks and little bitty pieces of rust will continually clog up your carb and cause the symptoms you describe.
Next time it does it CHECK if the gas cap has become clogged ... this seems unlikely but it happens a lot. You can tell when you remove the cap - you wlll hear a "hissing" sound.
A little more info ... maybe we can get that thing running right again!

DavidsFort14

Bogging out
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 12:09:45 PM »
Here's a little more info...
Gas is running straight through the overflo line, I mean as fast as the fuel pump can get it there, it runs out, while at the same time, giving the engine to much gas. I just replaced the gas tank, it looks pretty clean, I also have a fuel filter. The floats seem fine, though I have a feeling that they are sticking to something. To be honest, I have no idea where all the gas is comming from. There is an overflow spicket on the gas tank, and that is hooked up to the fuel pump as well as the carburetor, so the fuel pump can't really get a bunch of gas in there.
To clarify, there are two lines comming FROM the fuel pump, one back to the gtas tank, one to the carburetor.

This could also be nothing I suppose, just the carburetor getting dirty, it didn't have a good air to sart with. I just now got a good aire tube going to the top of the rollcage.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
Bogging out
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 11:29:16 AM »
OK, as a rule, if there's fuel coming out the overflow tubes you have one of two problems. Either the floats are set too high or they don't "float" and therefore overfilling the bowl ... or ... the needle/seal are bad and the fuel coming INTO the bowl never stops. You can CHECK this by putting a hose on the carb inlet and blowing through it ... turn it over and the air flow should stop. Obviously you can also push up on the floats and the air flow should stop. There should rarely be fuel coming out the overflow tubes, drips are common, but not actual flow.

Also after re-reading your post, it seems as if you are missing the bypass "tee". You should see a bypass after the pump ... one line goes to the carb and one goes to the top of the tank to send excess fuel back to the tank. Do you have a manual? If not, get one, it shows the proper routing of the line. You can go to http://www.servicehonda.com/HARD%20PARTS/ATV/FL250%20'77-84'/fl250frames%20page.htm and also see how the lines are to be routed. This would also tend to overfill the carb.

DavidsFort14

Bogging out
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:11:50 AM »
I've just now fixed the problem. There was a nasty object stuck on the needle that shuts off the gas. (You know the one that the butterfly presses against to turn of the gas). The object (looked like a metal shaving) was stopping the butterfly FROM pushing up.
 About the tee, there is one, and it does exactly what you said. It takes the exess gas back to the tank. That's what confused me in the first place. I couldn't figure out why gas would be foreced in.

But any ways it's fixed. Problem solved.

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
Bogging out
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 12:48:03 PM »
That's good news! It's great that you came back and said what solved your problem. I wish more would do that ... we all learn a lot more that way! :D

DavidsFort14

Bogging out
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 10:20:59 AM »
Ok, that wasn't it. When I took the metal shaving out and ran it, it ran well. THe next day however it was overflowing again. Bogginess is gone. OVerflow is still here.
I'm just going to buy a new carb.

spynergy

Bogging out
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004, 12:52:16 AM »
OK here's a real jewel of a newbie question.  What are the three tubes coming out of the carburator and just hanging down?  It doesn't seem right, is that normal?

ludedude

• View Profile
Bogging out
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004, 07:42:17 AM »
vent tubes...yes they're normal

mudbogger

Bogging out
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004, 05:19:03 PM »
Why not just rebuild what you got?it seems alot cheaper than a total replacement, there's guys here who sell the parts that you need, just list it in the wanted section