Author Topic: Circuit for Neutral and Reverse Indicators for a 350.  (Read 5259 times)

MassOdy

Circuit for Neutral and Reverse Indicators for a 350.
« on: December 09, 2003, 04:36:34 PM »
Electronic Project DIY:

Any 350 owners out there interested in adding a Reverse and Neutral LED indicator
to your machine. I built a circuit that will do this.

Its an easy circuit to build FROM Radio Shack components.

It uses an Inverter IC, small 5 Volt regulator, signal diodes, and two Jumbo LEDs.
Inverter is a 7404 276-2804
Regualtor is a 7805 276-1770 $1.49
Signal Diodes are 1N914 276-1122 $1.29
Red LED 276-209 $.99
Grn LED 276-304 $1.29
I would also suggest a project board and LED Holders it makes them mount nicely.

It connects to the change switch and buffers the change switch values as not to cause
problems with the CDI. These values are float (no conenction) and ground.

If there is interest I can email the schematic and pics.

I chose to use two LEDs one Red and one Green. A slight modification and a dual color
LED could be used instead. I used an inverter IC for the buffering and there are extra gates available to do the dual color logic.

The Red Reverse LED logic could also signal a small relay to trigger a backup incandencent light.

Since the wires are coming FROM the change switch it would be very easy to wire a momentary switch INTO it to be a rev. limiter override for reverse.

Personally I need this since I'm using a Comet 102c clutch. I still get engage for reverse but it cuts out just above the engagement RPM.

Other circuits I built is a brake light assembly. That circuit is archived in POOA. And I'm also building an addon to my Digatron FROM LudeDude. I think I'll be the only WiFi enabled ATV out there.

MassOdy

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 04:44:54 PM »
:shock: You da man MassOdy :shock:

Great stuff

350nut

circuit for nuetral switch
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 05:23:10 PM »
Hey MassOdy I would like a peek at that setup please send me pictures thanks alot.

MassOdy

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2003, 06:07:38 PM »
OK> Let me get them together tonight. I'll need to capture stills off of my video. Still camera is still not fixed yet.

MassOdy

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 08:38:04 PM »
Here's the schematic.

Thanks for getting Pic Post going!

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2003, 05:53:00 AM »
Quote from: "MassOdy"
Here's the schematic.

Thanks for getting Pic Post going!

No problem!...Actually it was a few problems, and one is still outstanding...a quirck on the admin side..don't think it's affecting anything else.

It's been awhile sinceI read electronic schematics. You mind giving a breakdown of what's what and why? I see two diodes in series up top? Why 2? 5V regulator, where does that hook-up?

I don't need to know, just like to :wink:

MassOdy

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2003, 07:38:59 PM »
The inverter gates are the ones in series. That could have been a single one. But, I figured I make use of the spare gates and have the LED wiring me symetrical.

OK the two diodes D2 and D1 act like an OR gate for active low signals. Active low means they goto negative or rather ground. SO if either are negative the shifetr is in N or F.

But, if neither are negative (actually float) the gate will go HI due its behavior internally.
On some gates the out put will flutter make false output. Float is a term to say the pin is neither
hi nor lo, sort of in limbo. Not good per se.

If it were the case; Here I'd put a pull up resistor in it. I got lucky and the IC does it. You wouldn't want to put that resistor outside of the diode since it then would possibly affect the circuits in the CDI.

And to keep the LEDs wiring similar for polarity I used a second gate. See the little circle on the output: that says the single inverts. Hi is lo, lo becomes hi.

So, showing Neutral is easy. its the straight shot with D3 and U1A. This was all needed to buffer the LED FROM the Switch itself. And that way its trying to not interfere with the CDI's internal logic.

The Gates really should be called U1a U1b U1c. Since they are individual gates on a common IC that supports 6 inverters. I see now I was lazy when I drew the diagram in Orcad.

The power supply. Good question. On the IC it self it needs a ground and a +5VDC. So the power supply wires over to the IC. If I hadn't used U3A then it would also wire to the red LED and that LED would be flipped around and not going to ground. I like my outputs signals active HI (+ output)drain to ground.

Hows that. I hope it helps.

MassOdy aka OverEngineeredOdy :)

vfrpilot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 01:51:51 PM »
I'm impressed! :!:

MassOdy

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 02:00:33 PM »
Thank you.

My pleasure to help out the community.

ludedude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 04:18:59 PM »
Hey Bob,

How are your sensor lengths working out? Do we need to tweak any lengths? If they're all OK can you send me what you actually have, or what you need if you want some changed. Then I can finalize 350 lengths as well. Still waiting for mine....it was at the border the same day my cylinder FROM Bore Tech was, that arrived 2 days ago :(

MassOdy

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 05:09:01 PM »
My leads are good lengths.Pretty much perfect.

Except for the speed sensor. But, since the replacement speed sensor is a shorty
it worked out well that its long. It was probably 18" too long. But, I coil them up in the
foot well center console. But the original length of the speed sensor was perfect.
It could mount on the front arm and still have enough lead to make it up above the tube
where the bnc would reside. I liked that since it would be out of harms way.

I'll use the new sensor as is and as with my other connectors they will be shrink wrapped.

The lap switch was long. But, I had to cut it and splice it to make the cable fit through
my steering column. I mounted the switch on the steering wheel. And the BNC would not want to go through at all.

The Digatron Mounting was easy for my setup since I have a dash to mount it too.
Otherwise it would have been a pain for me. I can solder just can't weld (yet).

My cables route this way. FROM the dash which is between the original head light mounts. Down INTO center column. Along the right side lower tubes. Up and around the shifter follows the brake lines and the BNC present themselves right at the CDI/Regulator area. The sensor lead length make up the difference FROM that point to the EGT spot, WCH spot, and the Spark plug.

I spiral wrapped the coax lines for added protection.

I took some video. I promised you pics. So tonight or this weekend I'll cut frames FROM the video
to post.

Routing the wires was a sort of a bitch with BNCs on the ends. But it makes for great connections.
I suggested earlier in my email they should consider SMA connectors instead. There threaded and small.

I also made sure to tuck all the wire bundles up and not allow slack. :roll:

MassOdy

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 06:40:51 PM »
Dashboard View

Joe Odyssey Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2003, 01:38:54 PM »
Man, that looks great!

MassOdy

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 12:21:04 PM »
In reviewing the schematic (in ORDER to use portions of this for an auto SELECT rearview camera / forward view camera.)

I beleive I labled the input pins backwards. Swap the names and colors for the inputs FROM the change switch.

:)

mudbogger

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 12:08:56 PM »
You ever gonna mass produce those dashes Mass, that thing looks great!!!I would be interested in 1 if you have any laying around.