Author Topic: New to me, time to start modding  (Read 387 times)

CR500Rider3

• View Profile
New to me, time to start modding
« on: March 29, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
Hello all,

I just picked up my first Pilot last weekend, and it's time to start tearing it down and redoing everything. Forgive me for all of the dumb questions I am about to ask.

I want to strip it down to the frame and add gussets, and supports to the roll cage as well as the frame, and re-powdercoat everything. Have any of you done this? Where all did you add strength?

While I have it torn apart, Id also like to put a bigger motor in. I was really wanting the 670 kit from Farr Offroad, but it seems like it going to take a lot to make it work, as well as I read the stock trans can't handle it? The other option would be the Rotax 583.  What do you guys/gals recommend? I will be mostly doing hard packed double track, with rocks and roots and occasional trips to sandy areas. I also want to still have electric start and reverse.  What else is needed to do the engine swap that isn't included in the Farr Offroad kit?

Next would be suspension and brakes. I would like more travel because I'm sure I will be getting some air as well as riding fast over rocks, and roots. What do you recommend for that type of riding?
I was looking at the front disc brake kit from Farr Offroad, do any of you have it and do you recommend it since I will be adding more HP?

Seat, What are you guys running? I need something with more padding and something that will hold me in as I am a paraplegic. I will also be adding a new harness and possibly window nets. 

I'm obviously very new to these machines, but thank you in advance for the help. Is there anything else I'm forgetting while I have it all torn apart?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 06:41:36 PM by CR500Rider3 »

odypilots

• View Profile
    • Downhomeracing.com/opr
Re: New to me, time to start modding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 02:06:17 PM »
Welcome to the Pilot owners club! Most of the upper frame improvements consist of replacing the whole thing with a chrome moly set up. Whether they are still being sold, I don't know. I feel safe in the stock cage, but anything can be destroyed in a bad enough accident, so your desire to improve the stock cage is good. No idea where to add more to the stock cage.

I've run a 600 Rotax with a stock Pilot gearbox with hard use and no problems, but a 583 might be safer bet than the 670. That should be enough go power.

I have an Aftershock front suspension kit on my 600 that I'm happy with. Still using the stock front brakes with no problems, other than the need to adjust them.

Aftermarket seats need to be a narrow model to fit in easily. Make sure to add a skid plate if you switch to protect your ass.

The Team Tech Jet Pilot harness has a bunch more "hold you in the seat" ability, but is a pain to get in and out of. I had one, but switched it out for a set with wider belts that was like the stock set.
The usual 'my two cents' disclaimer applies. :)