Author Topic: Base Gasket Issues?  (Read 1331 times)

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Base Gasket Issues?
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:31:53 AM »
Was going to head out on my first buggy ride of the year with my good friends...but SMOKE kept us from going. After a test ride up and down my dirt road...my buddy pulled in the yard and a lot of smoke was coming from the tailpipe. It did not smell like spectro...more like engine oil burning. So I pulled the cb dipstick and found it to be a little low. So I topped it and sent him for another pull...same result...and low cb oil level. The idle went from nice and stable on start-up to slightly high after it started smoking.

Anybody had a paper am base gasket cause this to happen? It seems to be pulling the cb oil into the crankcase...and it coated the entire exhaust inside with a dark oily spooge. Dripping from the manifold...and at the silencer flange...and at the outlet. The only other place it could pull from would be the left crankcase seal...but I would think it would just about drink the entire qty. of oil quickly if that were the case.

I had thought it would have produced an external air leak...if it sucked a gasket in. But I sprayed the cyl base and the idle stayed up...and it didn't flutter or change at all. My theory is that it is lean...using the cb oil case as extra volume and sucking in the 10w40 that is in there and smoking badly.

Not sure what brand gasket set was used on this engine...but would not be surprised if it were a cometic.

RobDek

• View Profile
Re: Base Gasket Issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:40:36 PM »
From my recent readin on the topic, the oil level for the balancer should be kept at the low mark on the dipstick, 80ml instead of 120ml total...don't overfill past the minimum.  Any oil spewing from the vent?

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
No. The oil should not even end up in the crankcase ever to be burned...80ml or 120ml. The reason for that qty. would be to keep it from traveling into the mag side. (for an engine that has no oil mod) This seems to be pushing into the engine crankcase. I did not build this engine...so the brand of gaskets I'm not sure of.

This machine never smoked before like this...and has always ran very well. I never had issues with a creeping idle any times I have tuned it so this is why my theory is a bad base gasket.   

RobDek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
Time for some surgery!!!

Factory 45

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:16:08 AM »
So has anyone ever had this happen? Base gasket allowing counterbalance oil into the crankcase? Lots of smoke and oil dribbling from the exhaust at multiple points?

The engine will obviously need to be dismantled to find out for sure what is causing this condition. But for now just seeing if this is something someone has seen before?