Author Topic: Hello from New Jersey  (Read 819 times)

Mudfun

• View Profile
Hello from New Jersey
« on: January 19, 2014, 09:33:10 AM »
Hey,
   Just picked up a 78 FL250. Great original shape, even the seat is still somewhat intact. My first plan of attack is a compression test. It did run when we picked it up, so its not dead. If the compression is good, then 'm moving on to the roll cage. I have a welder who will take off some bent bars a PO put on it, and then weld new tubes where I need.
  You might think this plan is backward, considering a carb cleaning and the like would be more important. It is, but its too effing cold to ride, so some of the cosmetic stuff is going first.
  My one question today: The parking brake froze up. It was fine yesterday. Is it a matter of opening everything up to clean and lube, or should I be looking for something else.
  One thing at a time.
Thanks in advance. I'll will be leaning on you guys a lot, so I apologize if some questions are stupid. I will of course do a search first.
Andy

girth first

• View Profile
Re: Hello from New Jersey
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »
The e brake is a cam pin applied and spring returned shoe set up. im sure if you look on here somewhere they have a link for a down loading the clymer fl250 manual, as far as the brake goes remove the right side rim and tire you will see a drum, remove the six 10mm bolts and you will see the shoes. They will either be worn out or hung up in rust and such. its realy simple to do. good luck

Mudfun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 12:52:43 PM »
Thanks...when it gets above freezing, I'll check the brake. Good news is, the compression test passed right on the money!

Mudfun

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 05:14:03 PM »
Alright. Got the parking brake unstuck. Quick question: I noticed on the rear wheel one of the 8 x 38mm stud bolt was missing and was replaced with a smaller bolt and nut/washer. Small enough that it did not screw up the threads in the hub. I am having trouble locating the Honda replacement parts. I was wondering...cant I just get a 8 x 40mm bolt ( McMaster Carr) and thread it from the rear. This is basically what the PO did, and it could have been like this for 25 years. And at least I'd have the added strength of the thread. AND the original had a nut in the rear as well, so it was essentially a bolt itself.
does anyone see a problem with this?
Thanks in advance