Author Topic: Mikuni 30 mm Carb on FL250... T return or No Tee Return?  (Read 2278 times)

Robin Hood

• View Profile
Mikuni 30 mm Carb on FL250... T return or No Tee Return?
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:22:03 AM »
Ok... I have searched the forum and cannot find a consensus on whether you need a return line with check valve for the Mikuni carburetor. I have installed a new Mikuni carburetor with the fuel line direct from the pump to the carb and the motor is difficult to start and when the motor is running there is fuel dripping out of the overflow from the float bowl.

The motor was rebuilt, pressure tested and the carburetor, intake, and air cleaner are new. I believe it is getting to much fuel from either to much pressure on the needle and seat and overflowing the float or possibly to much angle on the carburetor. However since other odysseys are using this carburetor the angle must be ok even though the manual says no more than 20 degrees. I figure the angle is about 25 degrees.

Any thoughts? I am going to jack up the front end to see if changing the angle will make a difference. I don't want to add the tee unless I find out it is needed.

shoubadaba

• View Profile
Re: Mikuni 30 mm Carb on FL250... T return or No Tee Return?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
yes you need a return your pump is overpowering your float valve in the carb making it overflow and flood on starting

Robin Hood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
Ok...  I added the tee return and it didn't seem to make much difference. I have searched the internet and cannot find a specification for the float adjustment for the Mikuni.

Does anyone know what the specification of the float height should be? I am hesitant to change it because it is a new carb and should have been set at the factory.

LiveWire

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 85 Honda Odyssey FL350 Parts
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 07:46:03 AM »
Try adjusting the float level slightly from where it is now. The setting can vary slightly. Carbs get bounced around in shipping. Plus if running it at more angle than stock, that usually makes it need to be a touch different. With the carb upside down, bend the tang so the float is farther from the body.